"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I asked this in another thread, but never got answered. I am hoping you will be able to help me. I made dough in my FP with the dough blade, and it kneaded like you said in about 90 seconds, LOL.
But, it stuck like crazy to the bowl. Any trick to that so it doesn't stick?
Maybe you need to mix it drier for a FP? A TBS less water? Just a guess. Dry dough isn't as sticky.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly77 View Post
Ok, I'll try. This is going from memory as the cookbook is at home and I'm at work (BTW it's nearly 1pm on a Saturday, I'm in Australia )

Aaaanyway....you put the flour (my recipe calls for 300g from memory) in the food processor, using the sharp blade, with the pinch of salt (this is for savoury of course, I suppose you might be putting sugar in for a sweet shortcrust pasty)...then you add the cold diced butter (I *think* it said 125g, not 100% sure, will have to check at home) and process it until it is blended and resembles fine bread crumbs (takes less than 30 seconds).

Then whilst it is still running, slowly trickle in the 3 - 4 tablespoons of cold water (in Australia 1Tbsp = 20mls). It will come together and form a ball within about 20 seconds, then you tip it out and roll it out on a lightly floured bench/board, and press it into the flan tin as normal.

I then prick the base all over with a fork, blind bake it with rice/baking paper for 15 minutes (moderate oven), then take the rice out and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp it. The crust is now ready to use.
I need more education here. It sounds like you made a special dough/cup crust.

I awaus ate flan incuban resturants but it was a custard.
In chicago the little place served it in small 4 ounce used tin cans

Old 10-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke59ds View Post
I need more education here. It sounds like you made a special dough/cup crust.

I awaus ate flan incuban resturants but it was a custard.
In chicago the little place served it in small 4 ounce used tin cans
Sparkly didn't say she made flan - she said she used her FP to make a savory shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée) shell to make quiche - she simply used a flan pan to bake it in.

I use my FP for that and pie crusts - so easy.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Sparkly didn't say she made flan - she said she used her FP to make a savory shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée) shell to make quiche - she simply used a flan pan to bake it in.

I use mine for that and pie crusts - so easy.

thanks for setting me straight
Old 10-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxkevin View Post
Hummus and baba ganoush can also be made in a food processor. I can't remember the proper spelling, but it will also do a good job on gespatcho (cold tomato soup). The longer you have a food processor, the more you will need it.
Thanks for suggesting these, vmax. I've never made any of them, but I'm going to now. If you have any recipes or tips you'd be willing to share, I'd be really grateful. And BTW, welcome to DC.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #26
Master Chef

Hmmm that's right, the wife has a request in for hummus now that I have a new FP. Better get a good recipe for it....
Old 10-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Hmmm that's right, the wife has a request in for hummus now that I have a new FP. Better get a good recipe for it....
I've been hearing a lot about hummus lately, too, Mav. (Didn't Dina say she's making it regularly now?) Anyway, I need a recipe. If you find a good one first, will you share with me?
Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I've been hearing a lot about hummus lately, too, Mav. (Didn't Dina say she's making it regularly now?) Anyway, I need a recipe. If you find a good one first, will you share with me?
The wife loves it, and buys it every chance she gets. If I find a good recipe I will be more than happy to share it with you.
I know someone on here must have one, LOL. I want to try making a garlic flavored one, and a roasted red pepper one, two of her favorites.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I have an older 14 cup kweez with ALL the blades, and I use it for all kinds of stuff. Pie crust, veggies for cooking and salads, fresh salsas, grinding meat for burgers and such. Oh, yeah, and yam French fries. I've been drying tomatoes lately, and this baby slices them perfectly...has an 8mm thick slicing disc. This was, BTW, a thrift store find. And it would definitely rock for 'kraut...I have a 5 gallon crock, and should be putting some up for winter. I haven't tried it for yeast bread, 'cause I have an N-50 sitting on the counter next to it (thrift store as well).
Old 10-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #30
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post

I use my FP for that and pie crusts - so easy.
Michael, thank you for clarifying things