Nutella chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
urmaniac13 said:
Oh, oh, NUTELLA, now we are talking!!
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

Don't tell me you didn't like it otherwise I won't classify you as a human being!!
4.gif

I had heard about Nutella for years but had never run across it until a couple of weeks ago. I don't really know exactly what I expected it to taste like ... but the first bite told me it was a flavor I hadn't really anticpiated. It's not that I didn't like it - I was just shocked. Now that I know what it taste like, and know not to slather it on a piece of toast with the same abandon that I do peanut butter - I really am getting rather fond of it.

So maybe I'm at least HALF human? :pig:

LOL Michael!!! Nutella would be good as the center to a truffel!! My Italian friend said they grew up using that like we use peanut butter - but I would have to agree - don't use as much Nutella as you would peanut butter!

Michael in FtW said:
I had heard about Nutella for years but had never run across it until a couple of weeks ago. I don't really know exactly what I expected it to taste like ... but the first bite told me it was a flavor I hadn't really anticpiated. It's not that I didn't like it - I was just shocked. Now that I know what it taste like, and know not to slather it on a piece of toast with the same abandon that I do peanut butter - I really am getting rather fond of it.

So maybe I'm at least HALF human? :pig:

The kids in Germany, grew up with nutella like you have with peanut butter. :) It is a nut-nougat spread, made from hazelnuts and cocoa.

Some tips for using Nutella

- use it as a spread on bread or rolls

-for baking e.g. as filling for croissants, put in the dark
batter of a marble cake,...

- make desserts

Crepes with Ice Cream and Nutella

Make crepes, top with 2 scoops vanilla ice cream,
melt Nutella and drizzle over the ice cream

Crepes with Banana and Nutella

Make a crepes, brush on nutella, put on a small banana, roll up and enjoy. That's my daughter's favorite :)

Sabayon Creme with Nutella

5 egg yolks
2 tbsp dry white wine
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp liquid honey
5 tbsp Nutella
cream
small cookies

Melt the nutella in a bowl over a pot with boiling water.
In another bowl combine the egg yolks and sugar, whisk until frothy and very light in color. Stiring constantly, by and by add the milk, wine and honey. Remove the bowl with nutella from the pot with hot water and and replace with the bowl of egg mixture. Constantly stir the egg mixture until it get's thickily. Remove from the heat. Still stiring add the hot melted nutella. Fill in a bowl and let cool, stiring once in a while. Serve with whipped cream and cookies

Make a

Chocolate Ice Cream Shake

Put milk, chocolate ice cream and nutella in a blender, mix well. Pour in glasses and serve with whipping cream and chocolate sprinkles.

there are lot more ways to enjoy Nutella :)

Iris :chef:

Last edited:
Well Michael, keep on enjoying the delight of Nutella, the more you eat it the more you will grow fond of it!! But be careful also, you could become TOO fond of this sinful stuff!!:LOL:

Iris gave you guys some nice suggestions, in Italy, believe it or not there are also NUTELLA PIZZAS!! But don't worry with this pizza there are no tomatoes or cheeses, they just use the plain baked pizza dough with nothing on it, slice it sideways and make nutella sandwitch. Actually, the plain baked pizza dough is also popular, this is the original pizza bianca (white pizza) and they eat it simply with a drizzle of extra virgine olive oil, dash of rosemary and salt, or make a sandwich with something like nutella, among many other things...

I myself didn't encounter the immense pleasure of Nutella until I moved to Spain 13years ago with my ex husband in the Navy, but I was immediately hooked on it because I adore the hazelnut flavour!!:)

I bought some last year to make some kind of Christmas cookie with (forget which) and wasn't impressed.

Maybe I'll buy another jar this year and try some of these interesting ideas.

Got a nutella sweet tooth?

Mike, welcome to one of those hidden gems of commercially prepared foods!

I grew up with it (for extra special days only, mind you) and married an Italian who would be more than content to eat it with a big spoon straight from the jar.

It has something of a cult following the world over, but especially on its home tuff, Italy (Italia).

Knock-off brands/types also exist (including one by Green & Black's, which is awesome too, but it's more $ or € or £ :mrgreen:), one neat variety pairs a swirling of "nutella" (choco-hazelnut) with white chocolate. It is, if you can believe it, even sweeter than nutella on it's own!

Three of my favourite uses are 1.) spread on warm croissants and 2.) as a dip for dry bread sticks (
[size=-1]grissini)[/size] 3.) in place of chocolate squares in a smore

For more fun nutella ideas try these:

http://www.nutellausa.com/

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/nutella/nutella.html

My hubby says that in Italy they even have "nutella parties", in which case you'll need at least one of these!

BigNutella.jpg

nutella2.jpg

(The nutella equivalent of a keg…3 kilograms)

Ahahah Jessica, I know that bucket size nutella very well!! Very often seen in the house of Cris's children... it is a surviving tool for Guido (6) who hardly eats anything else!! (yes we also live in Italy!!)
And yessss... I love the stuff swirl of nutella and white choc!! The best of both worlds, hazelnut AND white chocolate mmmm, my mouth is watering!

Not being American or Italian, I, for obvious reasons, did not grow up eating neither Nuttela, nor Peanut butter. After I tried both I can only say one thing Nuttela rules!
I absolutely hate peanut butter, though, it is repulsive and disgusting. Not only I hate the taste, I hate the look of it and can’t even stand the smell. :sick: :yuk: Making peanut butter sandwiches for kids for school is like a torture for me, brrrrrrr. Sorry.

LMAO Charlie! I have to tell you My daughter has a friend who actually gags when she smells peanut butter. Her mother (MY friend) is addicted to peanut butter cookies. NOT a pretty combo!

It's funny how our tastes develop. I love peanut butter out of the jar by the spoonful and sandwiches - especially with sliced banannas. But, I'm not all that fond of PB cookies - and even less fond of PB based Asian sauces, although I couldn't imagine an Asian stir-fry without peanut oil.

Nutella is a new experience for me. My DXW (dear/departed/divorced crazy ex-wife) was first generation born in America French/Italian from Brooklyn, New York (trust me - her French mother gave her no influence, inclinations or interests - she learned all she knew about cooking from her Italian Dad and 2 Uncles). All she ever did every morning was complain that the stores down her in TX didn't carry Nutella - as she slathered PB on toast as a substitute. After hearing about it every morning for 5 years - I just had to try it when I found some.

I love hazel nuts - but this was a new experience for me. I'm trying to learn to experience it, and gain an appreciation for it. I grew up on Southern (USA) food - and fennel, leeks, and endive took me a couple of times before I really began to appreciate them, too.

Michael; Have you ever eaten that little square of chocolate found in gas-station marts all over the U.S. called "Ice Cubes"? They are similar. To really savor Nutella (I get it in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario), Place a tsp.-full in your mouth. Swirl it around a little. You will taste the aromatic oils of the hazlenut mixed with a very creamy chocolate. The hazlenut dominates the chcolate, which is more of a ganache texture.

Then feel the texture, smooth and creamy, and the cooling sensation of the product in your mouth. Analyse the various flavors, the texture, the feel, as you would a fine wine. Don't just taste the Nuttela, experience it.

When you come to appreciate the complex nature of this chocolaty treat, then think of how it could compliment other things. Add a bit to your hot chocolate, or heat it and drizzle over ice cream with banannas. Let your talented pallate carry the flavor to your nose.

If you still aren't sure, then there's really no hope for you. You will have to be carted away "by those fine young men in their nice white coats. And there comming to take you away, haha haha.":wacko::mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom