"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #31
Head Chef

I adore liver. When I'm poorly its usually calves liver I crave. But I love every tye of liver I've tried, pan fried or pate or whatever, I love it. I've had sweetbreads a couple of times and they were ok, I'd eat them again but I've not gone out of my way to have them. Kidneys are fine, a steak and kidney pie is always a winner! Hearty is what my pets get...so I've never tried it, but I would I guess. The other stuff does not appeal, but I'd try it out of curiosity given the oppertunity.

ETA just remembered I tried tongue for the first time two years ago and HATED it. But at least I tried it!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I find commercially made tongue vastly different from home-made. Home-made is far superior. Canned is closest to home. The sliced tongue from the deli is a completely different flavour.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
I find commercially made tongue vastly different from home-made. Home-made is far superior. Canned is closest to home. The sliced tongue from the deli is a completely different flavour.
I dunno, Bilby. The Tongue Sandwiches at Katz's taste remarkably like the ones my Mom and Aunt Ruth used to make.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #34
Head Chef

I think they are all named appropriately... Offal--Awful....

I just don't enjoy any of them..
Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

If anyone dosn't like the strong taste of Liver soak it in milk for an hour or two.......Tripe cooked in milk and onions to die for.mmmmmmmmmm.........Years ago in North East England you could buy what we called Black Tripe believe Reed Tripe was official name.........but can't seem to get it any where now...it was fantastic
Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

If anyone dosn't like the strong taste of Liver soak it in milk for an hour or two.......Tripe cooked in milk and onions to die for.mmmmmmmmmm.........Years ago in North East England you could buy what we called Black Tripe believe Reed Tripe was official name.........but can't seem to get it any where now...it was fantastic...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I dunno, Bilby. The Tongue Sandwiches at Katz's taste remarkably like the ones my Mom and Aunt Ruth used to make.
The commercial ones here are just nothing like a home-made tongue. They are much drier - no softness to them at all. No delicate pink or varying flavours as you eat the different parts of the tongue. Maybe the commercial ones in the US are prepared more to a home recipe than here. If you saw what we get in the shops, you would see what I mean.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Lambs Fry cooked up with bacon, onions and mushrooms and served with creamy mashed potato and peas. Just makes me drool thinking of it.

Tripe has to be cooked right. I have had it where it has been cooked to the point of being rubbery which is not a nice effect.

Love steak and kidney pudding especially when it is made with suet. My husband makes a mean brawn from pigs heads. Really tasty.