"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Offal..adored or abhorred

What offal do you love and which 'parts' do you hate?!! Then, what do you do with your favourite?

I enjoy it all but my absolute favourites are kidneys, liver, sweetbreads and brains. Least enjoyed is tripe and heart.

Brains in brown butter with capers, liver with sage, white wine and onions, sweetbread fritters, kidneys with sour cream and whisky.

Love lambs tails too but they are SO seasonal!!!

In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
Senior Cook
adore... tripe, sweetbreads, liver... its all good

Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
Head Chef
Love liver and kidneys, find sweetbreads boring, and am not a fan of brains.

It is tough to get many organ meats here in the States, at least in our experience and we have lived in a number of states.

Most of the stuff sold as calves liver seems to come from cows as old as I am.

Just found a place where we can get thick cut true calves liver, and we get it fairly often.

Kidneys and beef heart we never find in the routine supermarket, although they were routinely available when I was a kid. We can get chicken hearts though.

And you have to really search for any other organ meats.

Can find tripe in Asian markets but usually not in the local supermarket.

Oh yes, one cannot legally sell lungs for food in this country, at least as I understand it. That means it is impossible to get, or make, a true haggis, which we love.

Am sure others will be along with a different take on this, take care.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:30 AM   #4
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Ah Auntdot...you, like me, are from good Scottish stock it would appear, given your love of haggis!!
Actually, I havent eaten a good one in awhile. Need to rectify that but I dont make my own as Im the only one around that will eat it.
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:53 AM   #5
Head Chef
Like liver and kidneys, not keen at all on sweetbreads (I know lots of people like the flavour [egg yolks and foie gras all in one] but it's too rich for me). Have never tried brains - after all the hoohah with mad cow's disease in Britain, I've never been tempted! They're regarded as delicacies here in Barcelona. And tripe I've never tried, despite all the callos a la madrileña that you see as tapas in bars here. And I've never eaten heart - I imagine it to be tough-going to eat. I ought to look around on DC for recipes and give it a go.
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef
The only offal I ever prepare is lamb's liver, all the other livers are too gamey for my taste.

BUT, I do love the haggis that my local butcher makes (a closely guarded recipe and anyway, who wants to work with livers and lights and all that stuff?!). Had haggis for dinner on Friday night with bashed neeps and chappit tatties.... YUM!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 AM   #7
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I love it all! In particular, liver.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
me too I say they are offally good LOL

Love my haggies in a whiskey sauce.. had a great haggis in scotaland at the Dome

LOVE LOVE LOVE sweetbreads, prarie oysters, brains etc
Behind Every Good Woman... Is herself
Chef_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:03 AM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I love it, but only buy from the farmer orfrom a butcher who can tell me where the meat came from and how it was raised. Supermarket meat here in US is so full of steroids, hormones and antibiotics, and we know the organs are the places where they settle in the body...

Liver is my favorite. I love it so many ways, but the all time favorite is probably with bacon and onions. Love hearts and gizzards stewed up together, too.

Sweetbreads I like best when they're prepared so they're crisp on theoutside and tender within... I have a beautiful Autumn Salad that's pretty involved, but you've just gotten me thinking I should ask my sheep farmer for some sweetbreads.... Kidneys are great sautéed and them with a Marsala cream ssuce... When I was a kid my aunts (the farm aunts) used to fry them up in patties, or sauté them with scrambled eggs.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Sous Chef
I have next to zero experience with offal. I use some of the poultry organs included with birds to make stock/sauce, but thats about it.

I'd love to try sweetbreads sometime. Those look amazing.
Well, Foie Gras - I've had that before.
I suppose natural sausage/hot dog casings...

Just not something I grew up with or have gotten around to experimenting with.

Did try beef liver once and wasn't won over. Probably due to the cook more than the food.

Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote