"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Office Baking Contest

Hi All -

This is my first post so I hope I'm putting it in the right place!

I've always loved to cook and bake, and I've always gotten quite a few compliments everywhere I go. I've never participated in a contest before though! I have a new job and this company does a baking competition. My issue is I cannot decide what to make! I've made so many different things that I can't decide what is competition worthy!

Have any of you ever participated in a baking contest before? There are no rules for this one except to make it yourself with no shortcuts (boxed mixes, etc.) I'm expecting there to be entries from all categories...pies, cakes, cookies, etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Katie, and welcome to Discuss Cooking. I know you'll have lots of responses from those here who are so good at baking but I don't bake, only cook. While you are waiting for them you could help with some more information..
Do you have access to a refrigerator at work?
What have you baked in the past with good results?
How many people are you expecting to participate?
Is the contest limited to desserts, or would something like bread be a better choice?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes - access to fridge at work.

I have pretty much every baking tool there is and I am not opposed to getting more if needed. :)

It's a small company so I'm expecting maybe 15 entries max. This is a yearly thing but I wasn't here last year so I don't know what people have brought in the past! It's very competitive so I haven't been able to find out anything yet either! The rules are no disclosing what contestants are bringing before the competition so I won't know what others are bringing either.

What have I made with good results? Pretty much everything. :) The only thing I am NOT good at baking is bread...pretty much anything with yeast! But I don't think that narrows it down much for this competition!

The only thing I've ever made that I personally did not like at all were cake balls. (Some people call them cake pops.) Horrid. Way too sweet and the texture grossed me out. I was going to dump them in the trash but we had a few friends over, and they tried them and said they were amazing! They were all eaten that day by the crowd!

I personally enjoy simple classics and I bake often for my family. In the last two weeks I have made: frosted brownies, Apple pie, chocolate chip cookies and yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting. My son has requested an angel food cake with strawberry topping so that is up next.

I don't know whether to go simple and classic or a bit fancier? I don't know whether to go chocolate or no chocolate? It's hard to know what people would like!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

Hmmm, it sound like you are really experienced with baking Katie. I love most desserts myself, especially anything lemon. I think chocolate is highly overrated and there will likely be several chocolate choices. To me, there's nothing more wonderful than the perfectly executed lemon meringue pie to show off real talent. My dear Mom won a brand new stove with hers back in the '50's.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_Cooks View Post
Hi All -

This is my first post so I hope I'm putting it in the right place!

I've always loved to cook and bake, and I've always gotten quite a few compliments everywhere I go. I've never participated in a contest before though! I have a new job and this company does a baking competition. My issue is I cannot decide what to make! I've made so many different things that I can't decide what is competition worthy!

Have any of you ever participated in a baking contest before? There are no rules for this one except to make it yourself with no shortcuts (boxed mixes, etc.) I'm expecting there to be entries from all categories...pies, cakes, cookies, etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated!! Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My offering is this - Make a multi-layered cheescake, using a ten inch sringform pan.

Each layer will bee for a nine-inch pie recipe, Put together the ingredients for a Lindy Cheesecake, adding blue food coloring. Line the springform pan with parchment paper and pour the filling into the pan. Bake until the custard is firmly set. Let cool and run a knife around the sides. Remove the sides and slide a plastic cutting sheet under the custard. Remove the custard.

Make a second filling using the same technique, only this time, make it a New york style cheesecake. Again remove the custard on a plastic cutting sheet.

Finally, make a third layer using a Hollywood Cheesecake recipe, with red food coloring added. Remove from the pan.

You will notice that the cheesecake custard shrank away from the pna sides as it cooked. This is a good thing.

Make a graham cracker crust made from graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar. Press onto the bottom and sides of the springform pan. Gently place each layer fo cheesecake into the pan, taking care to not break the custard. Top the whole thing with sliced, fresh straawberries, and a little home-made strawberry glaze. Chill, then remove the sides to present.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
Master Chef

I say ask your family what their favorite is out of what you make and go with that.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Office Baking Contest

I agree, Charlie. I'm not a baker, but building off Chief's idea, cheesecake bites might be nice. A combo of grasshopper (creme de menthe and chocolate graham crust), cherry topped, chocolate chip, and plain.

If you bake an extraordinary apple pie, go for that. Pretty cupcakes, or good old chocolate chip cookies.

Kay, just saw your post. My great aunt was the queen of lemon meringue pie! Key lime pie would be nice too.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Master Chef

Chief, the first thing I thought about was how expen$ive a huge cheesecake like that would be to make, although it sounds wonderful. If you choose to go that way katie, I'd go with Dawgs idea of cheesecake bites.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I'd go with a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, just because nobody else will probably think of it
Old 02-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a baker that makes beautiful cakes.

ISO the most beautiful pineapple upside down cake in the world

Scroll down to #11. I have made it and I used some of the pineapple juice in the cake. That was more than a year ago and I am still getting comments for it. In fact I now have to make it every year for my granddaughter. She calls it her birthday cake.

Tags
baking, contest