"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 702

the final ingredients: chicken/pork/beef w/wine stock sauce, sweat onion,carrot,celery.sauteed red/green peppers & garlic, pepper sauce from the roasted peppers & canned chipotle,chopped bacon, ground bakers chocolate & spices (not pictured orange blossom honey, coffee reduction & kosher salt)....I made the stock from the chicken and beef bones and used rendered fat from the meats for the saute.....

and into the 9qt LC


I only used about 1/2 the pepper sauce because it was so so hot... I think I got the heat right....a serious after burn but not obliterating the other flavors...in the oven simmering away... we'll see what happens.

__________________

__________________
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 666
Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
But wow, the photos ... boy I hope you win!
__________________

__________________
Andrea
AMSeccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 702
thanks AM

well I tasted it done... its good... don't think I will win though... too hot... taste more like a very hot mole than chili per se...

Made the most beautiful cornbread I have ever made too (and the worst the 2nd was a chucker... Well I will eat the top I guess)

Cant wait to see what everyone else came up with.... that's the fun part
__________________
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 702
Well Pancho didn't win

I did not expect too anyway but I achieved my goal of making a chili I was proud to call mine. It tasted the way I wanted smoky sweet flavor up front... heat after. I think the chipotle, chocolate and spices really gave it the depth I was going for and the 3 meats made for a nice balance... I would change a few small things but the basic recipe worked great.

It was very interesting to taste all the chilis.. there were about 15 of em.

The winning chili was excellent... and the only other one than mine that was different.. it was a pulled pork chili and very good (I voted for it...voting for your own seems wrong)

The most interesting of the vegetarian chilis won too. Not sure what was in it... have to ask the maker there was some sweet latin tasting vegetable... maybe yucca or something)

The rest were what I would call Yankee chili... meat-beans-tomato sauce... most of them pretty good...but would get you run out of town in TX. only one or two I did not care for.

My cornbread came excellent too... but everyone seemed to like the one that tasted like sweet sticky cake
__________________
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx. ( Big D )
Posts: 313
Well, Pancho....

....what's in the cornbread? How'd you make it?
__________________
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 702
Phil... I am not much of a baker so I use the recipe on the arrowhead stone ground cornmeal... they seem to have 2 depending on the bag.. I use the one that calls for oil and eggs not shortening.

I like my cornbread a bit crumbly and NOT sweet & sticky and cake like... the basic recipe says you can double the oil eggs and sugar for sweeter-moister.. I only double the eggs.

This one probably came great because I used a very well seasoned Griswold #10 skillet for 1.5x the recipe (not one of my recent restorations but a well used glassy black one)

I think I put a touch extra baking powder on accident... but it formed into a lovely golden crusted dome and the lower crust browned perfectly... flipped right out of the skillet without leaving even a touch behind.

used the same recipe as usual bu this one came extra nice...

Also usually I don't use a mixer but this time I did.
__________________
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre
My cornbread came excellent too... but everyone seemed to like the one that tasted like sweet sticky cake
Now I understand why your chili wasn't the Winner.
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx. ( Big D )
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
Phil... I am not much of a baker so I use the recipe on the arrowhead stone ground cornmeal... they seem to have 2 depending on the bag.. I use the one that calls for oil and eggs not shortening.

I like my cornbread a bit crumbly and NOT sweet & sticky and cake like... the basic recipe says you can double the oil eggs and sugar for sweeter-moister.. I only double the eggs.

This one probably came great because I used a very well seasoned Griswold #10 skillet for 1.5x the recipe (not one of my recent restorations but a well used glassy black one)

I think I put a touch extra baking powder on accident... but it formed into a lovely golden crusted dome and the lower crust browned perfectly... flipped right out of the skillet without leaving even a touch behind.

used the same recipe as usual bu this one came extra nice...

Also usually I don't use a mixer but this time I did.
Pancho, compare this to yours. I'll bet it's close.
2 eggs,1 cup milk,1/4 c.oil, 1-1/2 yellow corn meal, 1 c.all purpose flour, 1/4 c. sugar,2-1/4 t. baking pwdr. 3/4t. salt. Mix all and pour in iron skillet at 450 for 20 min. Sometimes we fudge on the proud side of baking powder. It's a crumbly, wonderful cornbread, everytime.
__________________
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 702
almost exactly the same Phil... If memory serves its 1-1 cornbread to flour and 3t b.p.... if that is correct next time I will try 1.5-1

LOL! Uncle Bob... I know what you mean.... people up here don't know cornbread from their a** though... really never can find it good (maybe in some of the African American BBQ places... and that's a maybe) otherwise it's usually nasty. Never would have know what it is supposed to taste like if I had not lived in TX for so long.
__________________
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx. ( Big D )
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
almost exactly the same Phil... If memory serves its 1-1 cornbread to flour and 3t b.p.... if that is correct next time I will try 1.5-1

LOL! Uncle Bob... I know what you mean.... people up here don't know cornbread from their a** though... really never can find it good (maybe in some of the African American BBQ places... and that's a maybe) otherwise it's usually nasty. Never would have know what it is supposed to taste like if I had not lived in TX for so long.
Pancho, it seems like you have the Aunt Jemima corn meal recipe and I gave you Martha Whites recipe. Dear wife said that adding the hot shortening to the mixture made it taste like scramble eggs, so we switched. Martha uses more cornmeal than flour and it makes a difference. Most people use a package mix and don't know what an iron skillet is. You've been "learned" better
__________________

__________________
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.