"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Sous Chef

the final ingredients: chicken/pork/beef w/wine stock sauce, sweat onion,carrot,celery.sauteed red/green peppers & garlic, pepper sauce from the roasted peppers & canned chipotle,chopped bacon, ground bakers chocolate & spices (not pictured orange blossom honey, coffee reduction & kosher salt)....I made the stock from the chicken and beef bones and used rendered fat from the meats for the saute.....

and into the 9qt LC

I only used about 1/2 the pepper sauce because it was so so hot... I think I got the heat right....a serious after burn but not obliterating the other flavors...in the oven simmering away... we'll see what happens.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
But wow, the photos ... boy I hope you win!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Sous Chef

thanks AM

well I tasted it done... its good... don't think I will win though... too hot... taste more like a very hot mole than chili per se...

Made the most beautiful cornbread I have ever made too (and the worst the 2nd was a chucker... Well I will eat the top I guess)

Cant wait to see what everyone else came up with.... that's the fun part
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Well Pancho didn't win

I did not expect too anyway but I achieved my goal of making a chili I was proud to call mine. It tasted the way I wanted smoky sweet flavor up front... heat after. I think the chipotle, chocolate and spices really gave it the depth I was going for and the 3 meats made for a nice balance... I would change a few small things but the basic recipe worked great.

It was very interesting to taste all the chilis.. there were about 15 of em.

The winning chili was excellent... and the only other one than mine that was different.. it was a pulled pork chili and very good (I voted for it...voting for your own seems wrong)

The most interesting of the vegetarian chilis won too. Not sure what was in it... have to ask the maker there was some sweet latin tasting vegetable... maybe yucca or something)

The rest were what I would call Yankee chili... meat-beans-tomato sauce... most of them pretty good...but would get you run out of town in TX. only one or two I did not care for.

My cornbread came excellent too... but everyone seemed to like the one that tasted like sweet sticky cake
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Well, Pancho....

....what's in the cornbread? How'd you make it?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Phil... I am not much of a baker so I use the recipe on the arrowhead stone ground cornmeal... they seem to have 2 depending on the bag.. I use the one that calls for oil and eggs not shortening.

I like my cornbread a bit crumbly and NOT sweet & sticky and cake like... the basic recipe says you can double the oil eggs and sugar for sweeter-moister.. I only double the eggs.

This one probably came great because I used a very well seasoned Griswold #10 skillet for 1.5x the recipe (not one of my recent restorations but a well used glassy black one)

I think I put a touch extra baking powder on accident... but it formed into a lovely golden crusted dome and the lower crust browned perfectly... flipped right out of the skillet without leaving even a touch behind.

used the same recipe as usual bu this one came extra nice...

Also usually I don't use a mixer but this time I did.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre
My cornbread came excellent too... but everyone seemed to like the one that tasted like sweet sticky cake
Now I understand why your chili wasn't the Winner.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
Phil... I am not much of a baker so I use the recipe on the arrowhead stone ground cornmeal... they seem to have 2 depending on the bag.. I use the one that calls for oil and eggs not shortening.

I like my cornbread a bit crumbly and NOT sweet & sticky and cake like... the basic recipe says you can double the oil eggs and sugar for sweeter-moister.. I only double the eggs.

This one probably came great because I used a very well seasoned Griswold #10 skillet for 1.5x the recipe (not one of my recent restorations but a well used glassy black one)

I think I put a touch extra baking powder on accident... but it formed into a lovely golden crusted dome and the lower crust browned perfectly... flipped right out of the skillet without leaving even a touch behind.

used the same recipe as usual bu this one came extra nice...

Also usually I don't use a mixer but this time I did.
Pancho, compare this to yours. I'll bet it's close.
2 eggs,1 cup milk,1/4 c.oil, 1-1/2 yellow corn meal, 1 c.all purpose flour, 1/4 c. sugar,2-1/4 t. baking pwdr. 3/4t. salt. Mix all and pour in iron skillet at 450 for 20 min. Sometimes we fudge on the proud side of baking powder. It's a crumbly, wonderful cornbread, everytime.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Sous Chef

almost exactly the same Phil... If memory serves its 1-1 cornbread to flour and 3t b.p.... if that is correct next time I will try 1.5-1

LOL! Uncle Bob... I know what you mean.... people up here don't know cornbread from their a** though... really never can find it good (maybe in some of the African American BBQ places... and that's a maybe) otherwise it's usually nasty. Never would have know what it is supposed to taste like if I had not lived in TX for so long.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
almost exactly the same Phil... If memory serves its 1-1 cornbread to flour and 3t b.p.... if that is correct next time I will try 1.5-1

LOL! Uncle Bob... I know what you mean.... people up here don't know cornbread from their a** though... really never can find it good (maybe in some of the African American BBQ places... and that's a maybe) otherwise it's usually nasty. Never would have know what it is supposed to taste like if I had not lived in TX for so long.
Pancho, it seems like you have the Aunt Jemima corn meal recipe and I gave you Martha Whites recipe. Dear wife said that adding the hot shortening to the mixture made it taste like scramble eggs, so we switched. Martha uses more cornmeal than flour and it makes a difference. Most people use a package mix and don't know what an iron skillet is. You've been "learned" better