"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Talking Office Chili Cookoff THE PLAN

Chili Cookoff 2009 Plan of action

Ok its finally here the office Chili Cookoff

I had devised a recipe with a mole like complexity but had to modify it due to the fact that it would have taken forever and it is a weekday event so it was not feasible. . I was planning on a Chili of Mole like complexity that involved a decent amount of shopping and firing up the fire pit… this is not going to happen. I am trying to stick to my original idea of a Latin inspired spicy-sweet chili. Instead of doing everything from scratch I will be cheating and using some Goya products.

3 days out:

Oven roast assorted fresh peppers (jalapeno, red bell, green frying peppers) I am planning on coring and cleaning coating in olive oil & spices and roasting in the oven on a CI skillet uncovered.. The roasted peppers will be placed in a glass bowl and refrigerated until its time to make the chili.

2 days out

Dice and marinate the meats (Chicken Breast, Chuck Steak, and Pork Loin) the marinade will be a Goya chipotle marinade. Make Coffee Reduction, Microplane Bakers Chocolate. Make Cornbread.

Night before

Start in a lg CI skillet wit a couple pieces or bacon… reserve bacon. Sweat an aromatic base in the bacon grease (fine dice in the food processor) Onions, Carrots, Celery, Garlic. Remove and reserve base. Dredge marinated meats in Masa. Brown in skillet (order Pork, Beef, Chicken). Deglaze skillet with Marsala wine and homemade roasted chicken stock…. Reduce ‘til thick.

Transfer all ingredients (dicing earlier roasted peppers) to large enameled DO.. Add canned Goya chipotle peppers, ground dried chilies from summer garden, salt, chili powder, mustard powder, cider vinegar, a touch of brown sugar and simmer until bedtime)

Transfer to crock pot container, refrigerate… bring to work along with cornbread in the morning…. Reheat in crock pot before chili time.

Am I missing something? Is there something I should do differently? An ingredient I should add/remove?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Go for it Pancho!! I hope you take top honors!!

The only thing I would change is the date to 2009

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Done UB! Time flies don't it.

Dont really care about winning just want to know mine is the best
Old 01-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Good luck, sounds pretty elaborate! What's the prize (besides bragging rights)?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Wow I don't know how that could not be an awesome chili. It sounds like alot of work. Have you made this recipe of chili before? Let us know how it goes over at the office.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Have fun!!! Sounds good to me!!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
Sous Chef

well the peppers are roasted. I just need to skin em and seed em. Then I will add them with the Goya chipotle and puree... along with the pan sauce from the deglaze this should make up the sauce part of my chili. Saved one of each kind fresh to dice and add to the initial saute. I picked up a habanero hot sauce and an ancho hot sauce to add dashes of so along with my own dried chilies.roasted chillies and the chipotle there should be no shortage of chili flavor.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Sous Chef

well good thing I started early.... roasted peppers are pureed with the chipotle and roasted garlic. meat is diced and marinating each meat is in a different marinade used the hot sauces here instead of adding to the chili later. coffee is reduced.

The Jalapeno's released a lot of heat though so my puree is VERY VERY hot... maybe too hot. I may have to pick up an emergency can of beans or something to help dissipate if its still too hot once its all put together... I really didn't want beans in my chili though.

I decided to go with the puree over dicing because I thought it needed more "sauce" I moved the cornbread to tomorrow so it will be fresh.

All I should have to do tomorrow now is saute/brown combine and let it simmer.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Sous Chef

With all that work, I sure hope you win! You know that there are national chili champions that use all dry seasonings...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
With all that work, I sure hope you win! You know that there are national chili champions that use all dry seasonings...
LOL I probably should have taken that route...I'm exhausted.

contd