Oil - can someone explain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil_uk

Assistant Cook
Hi Me again :)

So i would like to get to the bottom of a burning question i have.

So i see 4 types of oil

Olive - I know this is used in salads etc etc

Vegetable -

Soya -

Sunflower -

So the last 3 i dont understand why i would use one over another and what the difference is.

Do they all do the same job and its just personal preference, do they have different properties which should be used for different purposes?

I cook roast potatoes and normally do it in vegetable oil is this right?

Sorry for all the questions but i wanted to start at the beginning.

Phil

There are some differences, but with a few minor exceptions, they are interchangeable.

1. Some oils have a lower smoke point - the temperature at which they break down and start to burn. These oils are not the best choice for deep frying.

2. Different oils have different levels of saturated, mono-unsaturated and poly unsaturated fats. You may choose one over another for health reasons.

Beyond that, go for the taste you prefer.

I deep fry in Peanut oil - saute in veg. oil, grill veg.s with olive oil, fry chicken in Crisco and bake with veg. oil. :)

I use olive oil for about 90% of all my cooking including roasting potatoes, etc. It has a nice nutty flavor and is a little better for you than a lot of the other oils. Other than that I just keep some regular vegetable oil around to use for hotter temperature cooking and in cakes etc, when I want a more neutral traste.

phil_uk said:
Hi Me again :)...I cook roast potatoes and normally do it in vegetable oil is this right?...

Unless you want superb roast potatoes then use duck fat... but I digress.:rolleyes:

I use olive oil for roast potatoes, roast veggies, and pretty much everything, unless of course I need a milder or more neutral tasting oil, in which case I'll use canola oil or grape seed oil. The only other oil I heat is peanut oil, which I use for stir fries.

Other oils I use but do not cook with are walnut oil for some dressings, and toasted sesame oil to flavour certain dishes (usually asian inspired.)

G

I generall favor olive oil myself, as it cooks well with a lot of things and it's probably the healthiest of the popular oils.

MenuPlanningCentral said:
I use olive oil for about 90% of all my cooking including roasting potatoes, etc. It has a nice nutty flavor and is a little better for you than a lot of the other oils. Other than that I just keep some regular vegetable oil around to use for hotter temperature cooking and in cakes etc, when I want a more neutral traste.

Same here. Olive oil is great except that you can't, of course, get it that hot... I was just realizing last night that we were out of it once again... man, I go through a lot!

Olive oil is high in calories but low in cholesterol so I use it for most of my frying needs and veg oil for all other, sesame oil for asian dishes. there is a relitive new oil out that is supposed to be the best for you but can not remember the name (senior Moment)

All oil has the same amount of calories (about 120 per tablespoon). No oil contains cholesterol.

Olive and canola oils are among the best for their mono- and poly- unsaturated fats. Canola has the higher smoke point of the two.

Olive, canola, corn, peanut, safflower, sunflower, sesame, grapeseed, almond etc. are all "vegetable oil." There are many different types of vegetable oils, each with their own flavor and smoke point. And, like Andy said, all with the same amout of fat and zero cholesterol.

Next time you pick up a bottle of "vegetable" oil, look at the ingredients. It will usually be safflower or a blend of different vegetable oils.

olive and canola (rape seed) a monosaturated good for you

peanut has a high heat ability

Corn oil is also a good frying oil

"vegetable oil" can be anything that grows...cotton seed, soybean, even palm and coconut which as tropical oils are heavy saturated fats. solid vegetable shortening is hydrogenated cottonseed oil usually.

olive oils come is qualities form extra virgin to pumace (avoid that stuff)

I'm almost exclusively an EVOO user. I keep a jug of cheap vegetable oil around for things like keeping my cast iron grill grate seasoned, or for the occasional need for oil in pancakes or baking, otherwise I use EV olive oil. I almost never deep fry anything, but when I do I use shortening (as recommended by Alton Brown). :chef:

We use olive and canola oils almost exclusively in our house. I have a 1-pound can of Crisco that usually lasts a year. We deep-fry very little here, so no need for large quantities of any type oil. A tall bottle of canola oil will last us 6 months or so, but there are only the 2 of us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom