Oil separating in baked cheese?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HibernatingWalrus

Assistant Cook
I'm trying the online recipe for Olive Garden's smoked mozzarella fonduta. I managed to follow it pretty precisely this time, but the oil separates out of the cheese, and takes all the flavor with it; get a bite of cheese without the oil, and you're in for a bland time.

Does anyone have an idea for an ingredient I might add, or a different way to cook it (in a big glass dish, in the oven set to 450 degrees, until the cheese is browned) so that the oil won't separate out so much?

thanks greatly! :D

If the cheese is particularly hard, or older you'll always have this problem. Even with a soft cheese like mozzarella. The first thing I would try is another brand of mozzarella. This is one of those times that an inexpensive store brand may work better than a fancy gourmet wedge.

I don't know how it's used in that recipe, but if it's grated like it would be for macaroni and cheese some things you may try are heating it slower so that it doesn't break or you could add a bit of a softer cheese like gruyere.

That seems like an awfully high temperature to be using. Have you consulted any other Fonduta recipes to see how those might compare?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom