"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #31
Executive Chef

I believe several brands of Grape seed oil are cold pressed just as is olive oil.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

coldpressed grapeseed oil

Yes there are, not the cheap ones. Here is something that could be found in organic shop or specialty shop and costs about the same if not more than olive oil, it might be different in the US.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #33
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Chef View Post
Could it be that Canola oil and Mustard oil are the same oil, just a different name?
I don't think so, (not in Canada anyway) although mustard seed and canola seed belong to the same basic family. Any mustard oil I have seen has a very strong odor and flavor; canola oil has neither a strong odor nor flavor. Same family, not the same stuff though.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I had never heard of mustard oil before this. That's why I love this place.

Does it have a very strong mustard flavor? Is that what makes it pungent? I'm not a fan of mustard, but then again, I don't really like olives, either, soooo....

For the OP - my all-purpose oil is olive oil. Not extra-virgin. I buy it by the gallon at Costco. We don't deep-fat fry anything, so very high temps are not a huge issue here.

The other all-purpose is ghee (clarified butter), that I buy from my favorite Indian grocery in quart jars. Now, though, I might have to look for mustard oil!
No, it don't have strong mustard flavor, but another kind of pungent odor (we love that typical odor ).

It has much higher smoke point than all purpose ghee, and also better for health.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Chef View Post
Could it be that Canola oil and Mustard oil are the same oil, just a different name?
Canola oil is prepared from pressing the seeds of Brassica campestris, whereas mustard oil is prepared from Brassica nigra.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #36
Executive Chef

WOW! Say those names fast three times in a row!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #37
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
Canola oil is prepared from pressing the seeds of Brassica campestris, whereas mustard oil is prepared from Brassica nigra.
Thanks radhuni, I didn't think they were the same thing.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
WOW! Say those names fast three times in a row!!!
Brassica campestris
Brassica campestris
Brassica campestris

Brassica nigra
Brassica nigra
Brassica nigra

Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I am about equal distance from Italian, Asian, and Indian markets. Plus local supermarkets. Found you MUST always read the labels. You can buy straight sesame seed oil or they slip you sesame flavored soy oil. The same is true of mustard oil and chili oil. The latest issue of COOKS ILLUSTRATED has an article on oils. We usually get EVOO first cold press from the Italian market in a 3 liter can. Have our salads with it and balsamic vinigar. Have vegetable oil (soy), peanut, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, canola, real sesame, real mustard, and real chili oil. I think there maybe some corn oil on the lower shelf by the distilled white vinegar. Butter, ghee Crisco and bacon fat are in the kitchen. For a chili the mustard oil and chili oil kick flavor. Butter and a drizzle of olive oil for eggs is fine but then sometimes eggs are in the pan after bacon. What do you rub on a turkey before cooking butter or oil?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #40
Head Chef

My every day oil for frying is canola or corn oil. I also have peanut oil for high temp, EV olive oil for finishing and flavor. I've wanted to try grapeseed oil, but can't justify the cost.