"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Oil - what kind for general use?

need some oil advice....im going to Whole Foods, and they have pretty much every kind you can imagine

we use very little oil in our house, so the one bottle i get will need to be used for all general purposes....it needs to have a high smoke point since it will occasionally be used to sear steaks and other things, and will also be used to saute veggies and other stuff....i dont mind if it imparts some flavor, but it cant be over powering...id like one that is as healthy as possible.....it prob wont need to be used as a finishing oil (ill get some EVOO for that), but i may occasionally use it as a base for salad dressing and vinaigrettes (though not too often)

ive heard about grapeseed, safflower and other interesting ones....i want something different like that, but dont want to waste my money (not cheap, that stuff)

anyone use anything they really like?

Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Executive Chef

canola is a good neutral all purpose oil, with monosaturates like olive oil which are healthy. It is made from the rape seed, grown in Canada thus Can ola.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree. My all purpose oil is canola.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Cook

yeah, i actually have some canola on hand....was looking for something a little different....i love trying new things....
Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Head Chef

My favorite nowadays is GrapeSeed Oil and I'm hoping the price comes down eventually. Its more versatile that Olive Oil.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

If you only use small amounts of oil... try the Safflower for something different...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Canola, corn, safflower are all good choices.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

For a high smoke point, almost nothing beats peanut oil. That is what I blend in small amounts with my all purpose safflower oil when I want to do things such as rub down a roast or chicken wings for a high temperature crispy crust. It does have a discernible flavor, so I only add it as I need it and not generally.

I will also keep coconut oil on hand to mix a tablespoon or so with my general purpose safflower oil when frying potatoes. It really adds a fine quality to them!

I use a safflower oil-peanut oil-seseme oil blend when cooking Asian dishes.

I use olive oil-garlic oil blend when basting the outside of chicken or turkey just before roasting.

For myself and the way I cook, there is no single answer, but safflower is the base for much of what I do.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Head Chef

I use canola and evoo. (rape seed is also grown in northern North Dakota, not just Canada, although most of it probably comes from there)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I use extra virgin olive oil 99% of the time. I use peanut oil or sesame oil sometimes for recipes, and coconut oil only if I'm trying to fry an egg.

I never use canola oil, mainly because I'm scared of it. I read many internet sources, and the majority of canola oil produced has been processed like crazy (thus, destroying the fragile omega-3's), and then added with chemicals for deodorization. The end result is an oil that has many chemicals that are bad for your health. The only kind I would buy are cold-pressed canola oil, but unfortunately, they're more expensive than extra virgin olive oil.