OK, we have an emergency here!!! - Huge group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
Ok, Nick just informed me that we are going to a huge cottage party today and that we need to bring something. I need a recipe, fast! lol

I need something that will keep in the car for a few hours.. cookies, for example.

An easy fast recipe that won't take too much time, as I have to go to the store and make them and then we are leaving in about 6 hours... eek!!

Any quick help is appreciated!!

Okay, kiddo. Here's what you do.

One box orange cake mix, one box lemon cake mix, one lemon, one orange, one package white baking chips.

In a bowl, dump in orange cake mix, 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind, 1/2 cup oil, and 2 eggs. Beat until combined. Mix in 1 cup white chips. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated 350F oven for 12 to 14 minutes.

Do same with lemon cake mix and lemon rind.

You'll have 6 dozen of the freshest-tasting cookies you could imagine. Have fun.

Sounds great Katie! I might just do that one.

I have a question too though, is there any recipes in your arsenal that are easy to make and have alcohol in them? lol

Sounds great Katie! I might just do that one.

I have a question too though, is there any recipes in your arsenal that are easy to make and have alcohol in them? lol

Anything that comes immediately to mind would take you too long to make or would need to be refrigerated/frozen.

However, I am going to try to make some pina colada cookies using pineapple cake mix, coconut and rum. Might try that.

Okey, dokey.

Same drill as with the others. Box of pineapple cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 to 1 cup shredded coconut. Mix. Yadda, yadda. Stir in about 1 tablespoon dark rum. If the dough seems a bit dry, add more rum. Bake like the others.

LOL Expat.. that won't be happening lol

That sounds amazing katie, I'll be doing that one!

Thanks guys!! If there are any more suggestions feel free to post, I have about an hour before I leave to shop

This is an old Southern "hospitality cake" recipe - the way my Grandma did it - and notes on how I changed it up. Obviously - using oleo kind of dates it.
Grandma Walker’s Chocolate Sheet Cake

Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 400° F

In a sauce pan, melt together and bring just to a boil, stir to combine, and remove from heat:

½ Cup (1-stick) oleo
½ Cup Crisco
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 Cup water

Note: I replace the Oleo and Crisco with a 1 Cup stick of Crisco "Butter Flavored Shortening Sticks" plus 2-Tablespoons Water. I’m sure Grandma would have done this if it had been around in her day - it has a better butter flavor.

In a mixing bowl sift together and stir to combine:

2 Cups granulated sugar
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour cocoa mixture over the dry ingredients and mix just to incorporate. Add:

½ Cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix just enough to incorporate well and pour into a greased 16 x 11 x 2 inch or 18 x 14 x 1 inch (half sheet) pan. This can be made in a 9 x 13 pan - but needs 5-10 minutes longer cooking time ... start testing for doneness after 20 minutes.

Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes, rotate pan after the first 10 minutes.

Start making icing about 5 minutes before cake is done.

Melt together and bring to a boil:

½ Cup (1-stick) Oleo - I prefer unsalted butter
4 Tablespoons of cocoa
6 Tablespoons of milk

Remove from heat and add:

1 Box (1-Lb) of Confectioners' sugar
1 Cup of pecans, chopped (optional)

Frost cake while still warm. Pecans can either be incorporated into the frosting or sprinkled on after the cake is frosted.

I've made a similar recipe, Michael, without the cinnamon, though that certainly would be tasty, the Kazakhs go nuts over it.......they love any sweets esp. American-----anything that I send up to the office I have to call my DH's secretary so that she can "warn" everyone"---otherwise the expats lose out....and I've had too many complaints that they didn't know I had sent sweets up to the office.....now they get a warning.......the cakes were gone in seconds I understand.....so Saph if you don't have time to make Mike's recipe do save it to your recipe file

THat would take me way too long Michael, for one I've never made a cake, and for two I don't think a cake would sit well in a warm car for 2 1/2 hours lol

THanks for the input anyways though, it is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to the store to buy ingredients to make cookies

THat would take me way too long Michael, for one I've never made a cake, and for two I don't think a cake would sit well in a warm car for 2 1/2 hours lol

THanks for the input anyways though, it is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to the store to buy ingredients to make cookies

LOL - although it is a "scratch" cake recipe ... start to finish is only about 1 hour (including cleanup) and really hard to screw up.

As for keeping quality ... it's moist and tender for 2-3 days (or longer) at room temp. 2-1/2 hours in a car would be no challenge.

But - I do understand your situation and agree that you may want to stick to something that you are familiar with making with such a time limitation to create something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom