Old Clothes !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this dish. It is also done in Venezuela under carne mechada. Similar but with different veggies on it... Anyone have a different recipe?

I love this dish. I've seen versions of this recipe including Epicurious. Some have olives and peppers and some use dry sherri others vinegar. I wonder what the original Cuban recipe calls for. CraigC? The Venezuelan version of this is Carne mechada is also very good but not as savory. Not spicy hot at all, so do not confuse with Mexican cooking. This is Caribbean South American cooking which is very mild and rarely uses any chile for heat.

...I wonder what the original Cuban recipe calls for...

Recipes like this evolve free form in a region. Every home cook made it a little differently. Ther is no one correct recipe for ropas viejas the same as there is no one correct recipe for beef stew.

Well obviously. But there is at least one way that it is done in Cuba and another done in Massachusetts. I was just wondering if anyone knew the original recipe or ow it is prepared in Cuban kitchens.

Well obviously. But there is at least one way that it is done in Cuba and another done in Massachusetts. I was just wondering if anyone knew the original recipe or ow it is prepared in Cuban kitchens.

My point was that there are many ways it is done in Cuba. Which one do you want? Also, just because it's done in Massachusetts doesn't make it more or less authentic. I could be a Cuban refugee chef who made that as a specialty when I was in Cuba.

All in all, there are some basic components that are probably common across many recipes and then minor differences in other ingredients or their quantities.

I love this dish. I've seen versions of this recipe including Epicurious. Some have olives and peppers and some use dry sherri others vinegar. I wonder what the original Cuban recipe calls for. CraigC? The Venezuelan version of this is Carne mechada is also very good but not as savory. Not spicy hot at all, so do not confuse with Mexican cooking. This is Caribbean South American cooking which is very mild and rarely uses any chile for heat.

I'm sure there are as many recipes for it as there are Cuban abuelas. The recipe I use is based upon one from "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom