Old Clothes !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Who is fond of ropa vieja? What do you serve it with? I like to have white rice and tostones con mojo (homemade of course!).

Craig

Only pressed Cuban sandwiches. YUM.

Love those as well. I hope you don't think Cuban food is spicy? Cubans really don't do spicy. I bet you'd like this. Flank steak is used.

Craig

Love those as well. I hope you don't think Cuban food is spicy? Cubans really don't do spicy. I bet you'd like this. Flank steak is used.

Craig

I never realized this recipe included meat. I've never had any Cuban food except for the sandwiches.

I should have posted this originally.:rolleyes:

Ropa Vieja
One 2 1/2-pound flank steak
2 Bay leaves
1/4 c Pure Spanish olive oil
1 lg Onion, cut in half and each thinly sliced
1 lg Green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
2 To 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 c Drained and chopped canned tomatoes
1/2 c Dry sherry
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 c Finely chopped drained pimentos
1/2 c Frozen peas defrosted

1 Place the beef and 1 bay leaf
In a large pot, just cover with water and cook over low heat, covered, until the meat is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove the meat from the stock (save the stock for another use), allow to cool at room temperature, then cut the meat into 2-inch chunks. 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over low heat until fragrant, then cook the onions, bell pepper, and garlic, stirring, or until the onions are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sherry, and the remaining bay leaf, and cook, uncovered, an additional 15 minutes. 5. When the meat is cool, shred it with your fingers, season with salt and pepper, add it to the tomato mixture, cover, and simmer over low heat for 50 minutes. Remove the bay leaves, garnish with the pimientos and peas, and serve with Arroz Blanco. The dish can be prepared a day or two in advance, cooled, and refrigerated, and then simmered, covered, over low heat until heated through, 50 to 35 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Mary Urrutia Randelman "Memories of a Cuban Kitchen" (Macmillan, 1992)

Craig

Last edited:
Craig I love Ropa Vieja but haven't made it in a very long time... I read your recipe and am sure the one I had was a little different, but this sounds really good... I've always served mine over a saffron rice with sliced green olives mixed in... Thanks for reminding me of a great recipe I hadn't thought about in years... ;):)

Love it.

Went through a phase a few years ago where I made it a couple of times a month.

I usually serve it with black beans, yellow rice and hearts of palm salad with lime/cilantro dressing

Love it.

Went through a phase a few years ago where I made it a couple of times a month.

I usually serve it with black beans, yellow rice and hearts of palm salad with lime/cilantro dressing

Have you ever had tostones or maduros? Next, I'll have to put up a recipe for Picadillo.;)

Craig

Who is fond of ropa vieja? What do you serve it with? I like to have white rice and tostones con mojo (homemade of course!).

Craig
You know, my school cafeteria used to serve that, and I never ate it because "old clothes" doesn't sound very appealing. It was shredded beef with black beans, but i just couldn't over the name... *shudder*:ROFLMAO:

I make a Roja Mojo Chipotle pork that is good. I think it is Cuban...:ermm:

Not Cuban, they don't do spicy. Chipotle is SW and/or Mexican. Cuba seems to be one of the Caribbean countries that does mild.:rolleyes:

Craig

Not Cuban, they don't do spicy. Chipotle is SW and/or Mexican. Cuba seems to be one of the Caribbean countries that does mild.:rolleyes:

Craig

It always amazes me that so many people think that Puerto Rican food and Cuban food is spicy... It's so opposite, I find the flavors wonderfully carribbean without all the heat, which is refreshing...

Back
Top Bottom