Old namé root?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neptune

Cook
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a namé root. Within a few days, it rotted. So, I went back to the store and asked for another one. The second one was not rotten, but it was dark brown inside. I roasted it, but it stayed hard. Then I boiled it some, but it tasted like cardboard. Isn't namé supposed to be light-colored inside? Was my namé just extremely old? Just wondering. I plan to throw out what's left, since I don't particularly like to eat cardboard. ;)

I am of no help here, admittedly, I had to look up namé root. Apparently you use it as you would a sweet potato.

Being a root vegetable, it certainly shouldn't rot after 3 days. Like carrots, parsnip, turnip, etc., it should last a lot longer.

Reading more, it's tropical, apparently we don't grow it in the US, it's imported.

Last edited:
Being a root vegetable, it certainly shouldn't rot after 3 days. Like carrots, parsnip, turnip, etc., it should last a lot longer.
My theory is that nobody was buying it, so it was probably sitting around forever. I had a relative buy a jicama from the same store about a month ago, and it was very soggy, which means it was very old.
Reading more, it's tropical, apparently we don't grow it in the US, it's imported.
Yes, it was from Costa Rica. It was the Melissa's brand. This is what the description on their Web site says: "Shaped like a long sweet potato, the flesh of Name is creamy or yellow in color." The flesh of the one I had was dark brown. I should have made Melissa eat it herself. ;)

Thinking I would skip the grocery store namé, and just go to Costa Rica, where they'd serve it fresh!

Last edited:
Packing my suitcase!

I talked to Melissa's customer service. They said that Melissa feels the prices of airline tickets are a bit too high at the moment, but she's holding out hope that they may drop a bit by the time summer rolls around. So, you might want to unpack your suitcase for just a few weeks. ;)

They suspected that the root was indeed old. In the meantime, they are sending me a coupon for another one. So, that's decent enough. Incidentally, they told me that you pronounce the root NAH-may.

Last edited:
Great tenacity, Neptune! Good on you for pursuing and getting a coupon. Though I'd prefer tickets to Costa Rica...

Check the ethnic freezer section. Even in S. Florida, where there is a HUGE hispanic population, sometimes hispanic vege sit around for a while if you are not in a heavily populated hispanic area. Also, frozen items are sometimes easier to deal with than fresh. Case in point, yuca is a PITA to peel and prep fresh but using the frozen is great because the peel is gone, the fibrous middle is gone, and all you have to do is drop it in boiling water. It's not my fav but DH loves yuca with mojo so I make it for him or he makes it for himself from time to time.

Neptune, I love your sense of humor. There are times when this board can use one. Congrats on at least getting the coupon. A battle half won. Just out of curiosity, any chance of posting a picture of this somewhat new to this forum product? You have peaked my interest. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom