"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Too bad the markets don't have olive oil sampling. That would be very helpful.
I am not sure if you have a Williams-Sonoma near you, but they do have an olive oil bar and a vinegar bar at a lot of their locations. They usually have about 15-20 different types of both olive oil and vinegar with little cubes of bread. I have been know to stand there and try every single type

Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Antonio Carluccio is one of the best UK based Italian chefs - and a noted fungii hunter, too! His restaurants are reasonably priced and very good value, with authentic Italian regional dishes.

His shops are great too! Wonderful pasta, take-away lasagne, cakes, pannetone, and Italian biscuits. YUM
http://www.carluccios.com/Carluccios...ookie%5Ftest=1

Edinburgh's finest (and oldest!) Italian deli *** food shop *** tea shop .... (well you get the picture!) DO have tastings for olive oils - they are often in little dishes on the counters with little squares of ciabatta to dip in and let you savour the oils on display!
http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/

OHHH HOW STUPID.... the censorbot has taken the latin word C u m and asterisked it.... GRRRRRRR

Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am not sure if you have a Williams-Sonoma near you, but they do have an olive oil bar and a vinegar bar at a lot of their locations. They usually have about 15-20 different types of both olive oil and vinegar with little cubes of bread. I have been know to stand there and try every single type
My favorite shop. I need to stay away from WS - my Mastercard is still cooling down from my last visit.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I used to frequent the W-S back when I lived in Tulsa. I loved sampling the different olive oils and vinegars!

If someone started using my EVOO in high quantities, I'd let them know it, then I'd place that under lock and key (my pantry can be locked, I made sure of that).

I know at my job, my boss tends to lock up certain high-cost items, like saffron, dried exotic mushrooms, the thyme (he thinks we use to much of it, and makes food taste "weedy"), etc.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I loved the one in the Beverly Center - but it's between Macy*s and Bloomingdales. Dangerous territory

http://www.beverlycenter.com/IM/stor...tml?store=Z784

I still don't look back and laugh when I remember my friend saying "I used your little bottle of olive oil" - and "Why don't you buy a bigger one." When he wanted to fry chicken, I said "Let's eat out."
Old 11-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Antonio Carluccio is one of the best UK based Italian chefs - and a noted fungii hunter, too! His restaurants are reasonably priced and very good value, with authentic Italian regional dishes.

His shops are great too! Wonderful pasta, take-away lasagne, cakes, pannetone, and Italian biscuits. YUM
http://www.carluccios.com/Carluccios...ookie%5Ftest=1
Whoa, Signor Carluccio DOES sport a look of a classic Italian chef!!

Quote:
Edinburgh's finest (and oldest!) Italian deli *** food shop *** tea shop .... (well you get the picture!) DO have tastings for olive oils - they are often in little dishes on the counters with little squares of ciabatta to dip in and let you savour the oils on display!
http://www.valvonacrolla.co.uk/
I also took a look at Williams-Sonoma site as well as this one... both look like food lovers heaven... I am sure the real shops on location must be even better!![/quote]

Quote:
OHHH HOW STUPID.... the censorbot has taken the latin word C u m and asterisked it.... GRRRRRRR
Dirty mind exists not with the person who said it, but with ones who interpret it...
Old 11-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
Master Chef

There is actually an olive oil store about 2 blocks from where I work, they sell lots of kinds, most $$ but you can sample away. One of my favorites of theirs is from Australia.

If anyone lives in NYC, Fairway sells excellent house brand evoo. And they have a tasting bar. I use their oil pretty much exclusively.

But I do have a new favorite -- From Greece. I got it on a foodie jaunt to Astoria, Queens. I might be on a greek oil kick now.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i have been tempted to pull over at fairway many times on my way home jenny. i drive past it 2x every day, albeit on the elevated part of the henry hudson parkway, but often i get off at 125th street to get around traffic. i have heard so many good things about it. there seems to be a constant flow of trucks bringing in produce, day and night.
how would you say it compares to whole foods?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:05 PM   #19
Master Chef

Lordy, Buck you must have a very powerful force field surrounding you to not get sucked in to that place every time you drive by. Plus it has a huge parking lot!

Anyway, it's really nothing much like Whole Foods (at least the whole foods here). More of a cross between a regular supermarket and a Zabars. They have a large selection of everyday products (albeit weirdly organized) plus lots of higher end stuff, like oils, vinegars, cheeses, olives, canned fish, condiments etc. Higher end than Whole Foods. The do resemble WF in that their produce is excellent and reasonably priced (for New York, at least, where frisee is 8.99 a pound, compared to 1.99 a pound in boston).

I've only been to the one on 125th street a couple of times (i usually go to the one on 78th and broadway) but I assume that they have the same evoo set up. They have a generic house brand (which is good) plus better Fairway labeled oils from different parts of the world -- maybe 4 from Italy, one from Australia, one is from California. They all taste different, some are very green and grassy, others more nutty -- my favorite was one that is peppery and fruity. Their producers keep changing and the fruity one they don't carry anymore, but I guess that keeps the quality up. They go for about $13 for a liter -- used to be 10.

You must check it out!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks jen, will do. i think i might go saturday after work. i will report back if i do.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote