Olive Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This purveyor in Cali makes pretty decent domestically produced olive oils:

http://www.sciabica.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/home.html

as does this one:

http://www.lodestarfarms.com/

Both places offer tasting rooms and tours of the facilities and sell different flavors and grades of their oils. They are both located in Northern Central California.

Regarding Spanish Olive Oil, to me, they have the most depth in flavor. Part of the reason for the distinction in taste is partly because of the olives they use, and partly because of their climate. A lot of the olives are grown in and around the Pyrenees

This one is my favorite:

http://www.tienda.com/food/pop/oo-26.html

ironchef said:
Regarding Spanish Olive Oil, to me, they have the most depth in flavor. Part of the reason for the distinction in taste is partly because of the olives they use, and partly because of their climate. A lot of the olives are grown in and around the Pyrenees

This one is my favorite:

http://www.tienda.com/food/pop/oo-26.html

50% of all the olives made into oil are grown in Spain. In fact, a lot of the oil people assume is from Italy is oil manufactured there from olives grown in Spain.

I seem to remember reading in some Austrailian cookbook about some area where olive trees were planted way-back-when, and basically were abandoned, left to grow wild and breed through natural selection. The resulting trees produce olives which I believe are smaller than normal, but the resulting olive oil is exquisite. I'd like to try some Aussie olive oil, if I can ever find some.

Until recently my sister had what they call a 'hobby farm' (50 acres) in New South Wales. The crop that everyone was putting in was olives, which appear to thrive on the thin soil around the area where she lived. I remember one of her friends who had built a new house on a large block of land buying 200 olive trees! That will be SOME grove when the trees are mature!

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but please remember, I live in the sticks.
We buy Bertolli EVOO in gallon jugs at Sams. The main reason I started using it was for health reasons, then we decided we really liked it. We think it's just fine for bread and salad dressings, but then, we've never tasted the really good stuff.
What would you recommend that is moderately priced/the best bang for the buck? I may not be able to buy it locally, but I can always order it off the web.

Constance said:
I'm going to show my ignorance here, but please remember, I live in the sticks.
We buy Bertolli EVOO in gallon jugs at Sams. The main reason I started using it was for health reasons, then we decided we really liked it. We think it's just fine for bread and salad dressings, but then, we've never tasted the really good stuff.
What would you recommend that is moderately priced/the best bang for the buck? I may not be able to buy it locally, but I can always order it off the web.

I took a look around, I was looking for grappolini which is also pretty well known internationally. I haven't had any luck yet among the US market, but this one kinda stood out from what I have seen so far... it seems to be a very good value for the money... have a look!

http://www.agferrari.com/index.php/item/department/Olive%20Oils/item/3360.html?source=bizrate183!!mid=38026

Is this the right stuff?

Here is some info about the Grappolini brand as well. I can't get the English version of their homepage to load correctly. =/

:heart:
Z

Zereh said:
Is this the right stuff?

Here is some info about the Grappolini brand as well. I can't get the English version of their homepage to load correctly. =/

:heart:
Z

Yes, the one listed on the True Taste of Italy site is it. I saw this yesterday, too, but I wasn't sure if you can order it from the US (without too much of extra s/h charge)... I hope you can!! It does cost more than usual stuff you see in a regular super market... but you will really taste the difference. To fully enjoy it, try it with salad, bruschetta or just dipping with a crusty bread, without cooking!!

It came up just fine for me...great site. I'm not sure about how the American dollar compares to Euros, but if I'm guessing right, it's pretty reasonably priced.

Constance said:
It came up just fine for me...great site. I'm not sure about how the American dollar compares to Euros, but if I'm guessing right, it's pretty reasonably priced.

This site is obviously british, and the prices are listed in sterling pounds instead of euros. £6.99 would be about $12, which shouldn't be too bad. However, I don't want to make you jealous but we can get a bottle of 750ml, not 250ml for less than that price here... I feel very blessed!!:-p

I usually spice up the EVOO, especially for bread dipping. But I do like the varied tastes of the different types and brands.

My favorite for dipping is an unfiltered kind, very peppery, from Trader Joe's label. Good stuff.

It's great for cooking eggs in the morning. Some EVOO in a non-stick frying pan and you have almost zero cleanup time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom