"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Like a lot of foods, the taste is a result of where they are grown. What got me started on my quest for an olive oil from anywhere other than Italy, was my daughter-in-laws family. They come from Albania which is north of Greece. Her mother suggested I try Grecian olive oil. She said it is not as bitter as the Italian. I find that a lot of the foods and recipes of Italy are based on bitterness. When I got into a conversation with her she agreed with me about the bitterness. She said it may have to do with their lifestyle. So many of their little villages are located on steep hillsides, their areas of growing foods are on rocky earth. They just have never had an easy way to make a living. Specially in the areas of the volcanoes. And then add their politics to it, it just makes their lives a bit more difficult and uncertain.

I grew up in an Italian part of Boston. We had a great influx of Italians after the war. We had a POW camp of Italian prisoners out at Wood Island. When the war ended most of the prisoners chose to stay here. We also had an Immigration Processing Center, akin to Ellis Island here. They processed immigrants coming from Italy. So when I would go to the homes of my girlfriends, I would hear all the stories of how hard their lives were in Italy. There was always a story to go with the food and why it was made the way it was. It usually was because the Blessed Mother was not looking down of them for some reason. They chose bitter foods because they grew in the wild and were the only thing available. They developed a taste for bitterness.

Greece didn't have it as difficult during the war. They didn't have it easy, just not as hard. And their soil is sweeter than in Italy. As a result, their olives are grown in sweeter soil.

Time to end this lessonn in history. I go on and on.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

am i the only one who thought of popeye when they read the title of this thread?

aaa-gah gah gah gah gah gah

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
am i the only one who thought of popeye when they read the title of this thread?

That's what makes you unique and special.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

That thought never entered my mine. I am getting old.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

well, garshk.

i need some spinachk. (dressed in spanish olive oil, my fave)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Master Chef

I like all kind of olive oils. Each has it's own flavor and use.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Olio Carli is making a name for itself in the us. It is distributed out of Maryland now, but is an Italian oil. There is a slight burn in the throat when tasting it raw (a good sign actually) and is fruity without being sweet. It is direct sale by internet or phone. There ssems to be no real health benefit from the refined olive oils (light etc) may as well use canola.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Olio Carli is making a name for itself in the us. It is distributed out of Maryland now, but is an Italian oil. There is a slight burn in the throat when tasting it raw (a good sign actually) and is fruity without being sweet. It is direct sale by internet or phone. There ssems to be no real health benefit from the refined olive oils (light etc) may as well use canola.
I got a great deal on Olio Carli a while back, free shipping and a huge discount compared to prices on Amazon. Seven bottles will last me quite awhile! It is a very nice oil. Oh, I also got a free apron, tea towel, and decanter!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:

Well, if that's not the picture of extra virgin, I don't know what is.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post

Well, if that's not the picture of extra virgin, I don't know what is.
Omg hahha :D

Tags
oil