"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Olive Oil

Do any of you look beyond Italian olive oil? I prefer Greek olive oil. It is not as bitter as Italian. And the Spanish oil left an after taste in my mouth.

I also buy two different type of olive oil. Extra Virgin for salads, and dressing foods at the table and regular olive oil for cooking. I don't use it much for cooking, as it will burn before you can reach a safe level for sauteing. It is not good for searing at all.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I've been buying "local" olive oil from California Olive Ranch. Great stuff. I use the XVOO for cooking and dressings/drizzles.
Maybe there is something relatively local in your area that you can try.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
I've been buying "local" olive oil from California Olive Ranch. Great stuff. I use the XVOO for cooking and dressings/drizzles.
Maybe there is something relatively local in your area that you can try.
We don't have olive orchards on the East Coast. And definitely not in the City of Boston.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Addie you would like Croatian oil it is peppery like Kalamata. We are lucky family give us 5 gallons of home produced when we drive to Hvar, and my closest friend has inherited 800 trees in Kalamata.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I use Dimitri for everything. It is Greek and the there is a fellow that shows up to the local farmers market on Saturdays that sells it. I use it for cooking and salads.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

I long preferred EV Spanish olive oil for cold applications. But I've been using Colavita Fruttato as the best flavor available locally. My grocer does not yet stock the whole array of California Olive Ranch, so I don't get the reserve, the varietals or the special blends. For the money, though, Colavita Fruttato is very nice.

I cook with extra light. That puts the smoke point at 460F, right up there near the rapeseed/canola.

This reminds me to have a word with the grocery manager Saturday about getting the range of COR oils.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm a little hesitant to say I prefer olive oil from a particular country over others as a blanket statement.

Olive oil producing coountries, it doesn't matter which one, produce great oils, mediocre oils and lower quality oils. It's sometimes difficult to determine if you are comparing A great Spanish oil to a mediocre Greek oil or vice versa.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Head Chef

I'm moving to a preference for domestic olive oils on grounds of consumer confidence. The more I learn, the more I understand why Don Corleone and family were in the olive oil business. So much of it seems to be crooked as a snake. The domestic producers tend to both grow and press their own fruit, and they are so few and so under the eye of places like UC Davis Olive Center that adulteration seems more unlikely. I have no confidence in large international producers and store brands.

But here's an interesting note that suggests that rancid imports have shaped American olive oil taste preferences, leading consumers to reject the characteristics that define good olive oil and largely represent their more beneficial components.

UC Davis News & Information :: Olive oil study shows some consumers like it rancid

And I guess there's a sense of a kind of adventure in exploring the new domestic olive oil production. We're getting into it rapidly in Texas, both down in the Rio Grande Valley, as in the film previewed here:

...and just a few miles from me where they now have viable olive operations going in the Hill Country. I'm going to truck on up to Threadgill's in Austin on the evening of March 26 for the Texas Olive Council's tasting and contest and see how they're coming along. Some of them are just getting their first commercial harvest.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

EVOO

I use both EVOO and canola oil. I do not use EVOO for cooking but for salad dressing and general dressing of pasta, not to cook with. I buy what ever olive oil is on sale, especially 1/2 price, as long as it's not from China.....LOL.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Wine Guy

I also try to buy domestic olive oil when I can. Some of the oil coming out of California is excellent. Last time I was in St. Helena, I stopped at this little place right off main street that presses their own oil. Good quality oil and inexpensive, too. I wish they did mail order.

Otherwise, I don't have any preference for particular countries. I've had good olive oil from France, Spain , Italy, Greece, and even Tunisia.

Here is a place I've purchased from a few times. It's expensive, but they seem to be as picky about their oil as I am. I've never had anything from them I didn't like.

Olive Oil - Italy - Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Olive Oil - Olio2go - Italy

Tags
oil