Olive oil and foodnetwork...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1StarRestaurant

Assistant Cook
So I notice on alot of food network shows, alot of the different chefs like to use olive oil, and they have it in a clear glass jar. And alot of times when they use it, they keep pouring and pouring and pouring and almost half the jar is gone... i mean...isn't that kinda costly if you do that all the time? I'm kinda new to cooking but I just bought a bottle of extra virgin for around 13 dollars a few weeks ago :wacko:

I think the oil they are using is likely not extra virgin. Extra virgin is better as a finishing oil, for salads etc. An olive oil from a later press is probably what they are using. And really...they aren't paying for it are they????

I prefer to cook lightly using less oils and fats than many recipes call for. Especially in sautes one can reduce the oil by 1/3 quite often. But there is often a disconnect between what they say...a tablespoon, and what they pour...a half a cup!

they get silly as putty with thier olive oil!!!!!
i'm used to 1 tbsp. or 1 oz fer roux & mirepoix. not enough to produce a greasy meal!!

Agreed. Oftentimes one doesn't even need more than a tsp. oil in a mirepoix if the vegetables have enough water in them and can cook down enough! Though oil is good for flavoring, the amount used in anywhere but my house seems ridiculous! :)

I use both EVOO, when I want the flavor, and Light or Pure (refined OO) when I don't want the pronounced flavor of EVOO or I want an oil with a higher smoke point than EVOO.

I agree, I have seen some cooks appear to use more oil than I would when they are pouring it out of a bottle or cruet. But, then again, when they measure out 2-tablespoons on America's Test Kitchen it looks like more than that in the bottom of the pan.

EVOO is the best oil to use for many recipes. It has huge health benefits that other oils don't. If you are cooking at higher temps, use canola, grapeseed or similar. For the best flavour, use EVOO since it is from the first pressing of the olives and therefore has the best taste.

However, it's best reserved for salads and post-cooking drizzling, not for the actual cooking process, as some of its flavor (and cost to you) is lost.

The only person I know that uses evoo all the time is rachel ray. Of course she is not paying for it, so she does not care how much it cost. As for what oil you should be using, like everyone else has already said just use olive oil, or canolia oil. EVOO is a great finishing oil and also great for salads and other things where you want the taste of the EVOO to come out. I think you only need two kinds of oils to do most of your cooking. Get canolia oil for general cooking. It is not only a netural flavor oil, but it has a high smoke point, which means it can get to pretty high temperatures before it starts to smoke. Then have a bottle of EVOO for salads, finishing, and other stuff. I hope that helped.

I don't watch Food Network shows much anymore - they
are too much entertainment and I don't think most of them
know what they are doing. EVOO as reported by others should not be
used at high heat - it just destroys the flavor.
I use Peanut oil for saute, EVOO for vinagrette.
When I make vinagrette I use way less oil than most
chefs recommend, I use 1 part oil to 3 parts vinegar or
vinegar and mustard combined.

Rachel Ray sells a line of Olive Oil, of course she's going to use it 99% of the time. She's a marketing machine right now.

I see the suggestion of just using canola oil very limited. There are so many good choices out there, grape seed and peanut oils are also wonderful cooking tools. And when you are using butter, adding a little olive oil will stabilize the butter and keep it from browning.

Mario Batali. a chef who definitely knows his way around a kitchen, advocated using EVOO for everything, including deep frying. So I guess it's possible but costly.

The only person I know that uses evoo all the time is rachel ray.
Mario Battali uses EVOO for everything (including deep frying) as well. I exclusively use it too, except when I need a neutral tasting oil. I found an excellent EVOO at Trader Joes that I pay about $4 for so I have no problem using it in applications where the subtle flavors will be lost with cooking. If I were paying $30 a bottle then it would be a different story, but since I am not then I see no reason not to use it.

I am lucky enough to have a supply of evoo from a person who owns some trees in Sicily. I use it for everything! Unless I'm deep frying...it's the only thing I use. I even fried some potato chips in it one time and they were divine! LOL I won't waste it like that again though...I just wanted to see how they would turn out. The olive oil turned this beautiful color of green after :rolleyes:

If I had to pay a big price for it, however, I would not use it so freely.

The only person I know that uses evoo all the time is rachel ray. .

I use it all the time! Except when i need a more neutral flavor or a higher smoke point -- then I use canola oil. When I stir fry I use peanut oil.

There's no reason you can't use it for pretty much "everything."

The only person I know that uses evoo all the time is rachel ray. Of course she is not paying for it, so she does not care how much it cost. As for what oil you should be using, like everyone else has already said just use olive oil, or canolia oil. EVOO is a great finishing oil and also great for salads and other things where you want the taste of the EVOO to come out. I think you only need two kinds of oils to do most of your cooking. Get canolia oil for general cooking. It is not only a netural flavor oil, but it has a high smoke point, which means it can get to pretty high temperatures before it starts to smoke. Then have a bottle of EVOO for salads, finishing, and other stuff. I hope that helped.

Of course Rachel Ray uses a ton of EVOO. She kind of coined the term. She has her own brand of olive oil, what else "EVOO"

I buy big jugs of virgin olive oil at Sam's Club for everyday cooking and then buy smaller quantities of the really good stuff for salads, etc.

My favorite comes from a local guy whose family has a farm in Crete. He sells it at local shops, but my favorite place to buy it is at the farmer's market. I will buy maybe only 1 bottle a year (it's expensive), and will get some fresh tomatoes and onions along with some good crusty bread. Then when I get home, I have a wonderful breakfast (I get to the market at 7:30 am) of sliced tomatoes, onions, drenched with the oil and sopped up with the bread. I NEVER heat this oil. I'll use other stuff from the grocery store to cook with.
I've often said to him that one should serve it in a communion cup with a piece of bread... yep, a religious experience of sorts!

Back
Top Bottom