"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Olive oil and foodnetwork...

So I notice on alot of food network shows, alot of the different chefs like to use olive oil, and they have it in a clear glass jar. And alot of times when they use it, they keep pouring and pouring and pouring and almost half the jar is gone... i mean...isn't that kinda costly if you do that all the time? I'm kinda new to cooking but I just bought a bottle of extra virgin for around 13 dollars a few weeks ago

Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Everymom

I think the oil they are using is likely not extra virgin. Extra virgin is better as a finishing oil, for salads etc. An olive oil from a later press is probably what they are using. And really...they aren't paying for it are they????

Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I prefer to cook lightly using less oils and fats than many recipes call for. Especially in sautes one can reduce the oil by 1/3 quite often. But there is often a disconnect between what they say...a tablespoon, and what they pour...a half a cup!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Master Chef

they get silly as putty with thier olive oil!!!!!
i'm used to 1 tbsp. or 1 oz fer roux & mirepoix. not enough to produce a greasy meal!!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
Agreed. Oftentimes one doesn't even need more than a tsp. oil in a mirepoix if the vegetables have enough water in them and can cook down enough! Though oil is good for flavoring, the amount used in anywhere but my house seems ridiculous! :)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Master Chef

I use both EVOO, when I want the flavor, and Light or Pure (refined OO) when I don't want the pronounced flavor of EVOO or I want an oil with a higher smoke point than EVOO.

I agree, I have seen some cooks appear to use more oil than I would when they are pouring it out of a bottle or cruet. But, then again, when they measure out 2-tablespoons on America's Test Kitchen it looks like more than that in the bottom of the pan.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Cook

EVOO is the best oil to use for many recipes. It has huge health benefits that other oils don't. If you are cooking at higher temps, use canola, grapeseed or similar. For the best flavour, use EVOO since it is from the first pressing of the olives and therefore has the best taste.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
However, it's best reserved for salads and post-cooking drizzling, not for the actual cooking process, as some of its flavor (and cost to you) is lost.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
Senior Cook

The only person I know that uses evoo all the time is rachel ray. Of course she is not paying for it, so she does not care how much it cost. As for what oil you should be using, like everyone else has already said just use olive oil, or canolia oil. EVOO is a great finishing oil and also great for salads and other things where you want the taste of the EVOO to come out. I think you only need two kinds of oils to do most of your cooking. Get canolia oil for general cooking. It is not only a netural flavor oil, but it has a high smoke point, which means it can get to pretty high temperatures before it starts to smoke. Then have a bottle of EVOO for salads, finishing, and other stuff. I hope that helped.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I don't watch Food Network shows much anymore - they
are too much entertainment and I don't think most of them
know what they are doing. EVOO as reported by others should not be
used at high heat - it just destroys the flavor.
I use Peanut oil for saute, EVOO for vinagrette.
When I make vinagrette I use way less oil than most
chefs recommend, I use 1 part oil to 3 parts vinegar or
vinegar and mustard combined.