Olive Oil problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Condor Bastadon

Assistant Cook
Okay, so due to my lack of skill in removing the wrap from around the bottlecap of olive oil that I just bought, I have poked a tiny hole in the bottle. I have read that olive oil goes rancid quickly when exposed to air for a prolonged period of time, so I have put the entire bottle into a gallon ziplock bag.

Have I just wasted $7 or is there still hope for my olive oil?

Keep it in your refrigerator and use it a lot. I don't even refrigerate my EVOO because it doesn't last long enough to go rancid. I totally embrace the Mediterranean cuisine concept. I use EVOO everywhere except where it is explicitly inappropriate.

Just pour it into another bottle and keep it on your sink. Throw it out late summer (Northern hemisphere--August perhaps) and don't worry about it. Your nose and taste will tell you if it has become rancid.

Poked a hole in the bottle? Plastic bottle? Pour your olive oil into a glass bottle and cork it. Dark bottle is better, think Grolsche Bier bottles, green is OK, brown is better. Leave it in the cupboard, out of the light. No need to refrigerate if you use it fairly quickly. I use a glass bottle shaped like a naked lady, with a chromed, cork-based, self-closing liquor pourer spout.

Poked a hole in the bottle? Plastic bottle? Pour your olive oil into a glass bottle and cork it. Dark bottle is better, think Grolsche Bier bottles, green is OK, brown is better. Leave it in the cupboard, out of the light. No need to refrigerate if you use it fairly quickly. I use a glass bottle shaped like a naked lady, with a chromed, cork-based, self-closing liquor pourer spout.
+1
Due to cabinet shelf height constraints we currently decant into a vinegar bottle which has a self closing liquor pourer but I'm thinking of adding a Grand Marnier and a Cointreau bottle to my arsenal for decanting olive oil.

Last edited:
I'm with those who say if you use it fast enough it will probably be OK. I know a lot of people don't like plastic, but I have to tote groceries from garage or street to home, and usually opt for products in plastic over glass, all other things being the same.

Porcelain topped bottles are handy to have around. I have several old Grolsch bottles.
I am forever losing lids to bottles, and the porcelain can be opened with one hand and stay with the bottle. I would think they would be available at brewing stores. I bought new rubber seals a few years ago from a home brew store.

Porcelain topped bottles are handy to have around. I have several old Grolsch bottles.
I am forever losing lids to bottles, and the porcelain can be opened with one hand and stay with the bottle. I would think they would be available at brewing stores. I bought new rubber seals a few years ago from a home brew store.

Sounds like a great idea, except maybe not for EVOO. I find that oils and fats dissolve rubber.

Sounds like a great idea, except maybe not for EVOO. I find that oils and fats dissolve rubber.
The seals are actually on the outside of the bottle. I doubt that much of the liquid touches the rubber.

Once a year I get a gift package of some of the best olive oil from a single farm in Tuscany. It is not available here, but what I get is sent in glass bottles with porcelain tops. I think that is the way it is sold in Tuscany.

I posted pictures a while back of the harvest and the bottles.

Yeah, I bought a fairly cheap brand....Oliveri or something like that. It's in a plastic bottle. When I get home i'll put it in a different bottle if I can finally get the stupid wrap off of the bottle. Thanks for the advice guys.

The seals are actually on the outside of the bottle. I doubt that much of the liquid touches the rubber.

Once a year I get a gift package of some of the best olive oil from a single farm in Tuscany. It is not available here, but what I get is sent in glass bottles with porcelain tops. I think that is the way it is sold in Tuscany.

I posted pictures a while back of the harvest and the bottles.

Ooh, sounds lovely. I read the results and opinions of an EVOO tasting. The conclusion was to buy stuff from small companies/farms and stay away from "name brands".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom