"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Olive oil question...

Can you see this mold like nodules in the oil? I tried shaking it with no effect.

I bought it in DEC from Walmart and stored it in our 68* cellar. I love olive oil, it's so clear you can read a newspaper threw it.

There's no 800# to call and my wife doesn't know what to make of it either. We didn't open it because I'm thinking I may have to take it back based on what the experts here say. Thanks.

'a good cook cleans as they cook'...overheard Mom explaining to my sisters.
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Senior Cook
At 68* I don't think it should do that. And if it did get cold, when you warm it up to room temp is should be fine, from what I've learned. Head back to wally world and pick up some steaks and mushrooms while your there, .....you know .....for tonight when I come by.

Any expiration date?

BigAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Head Chef
YUCK YUCK YUCK, take it back, i've never seen anything like that... Maybe the company has a website you could check...
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Head Chef
I would just bring it upstairs and put it by a heating vent or in the sun where it is warmer and see if goes clear. If it doesn't, take it back.

I'm more likely to think it is the oil solidifying (sp?) or it has a water/liquid component that is separating out coated by olive oil.

What happens when it is warmed to 75 degrees F?

Different oils solidify at different temperatures. I have coconut oil in the basement, some of it solidfies as 72 degrees F, some solidifies at 90 degrees F. When an oil solidfies depends on how it is processed. A hydrogenated oil (think shortening) is liquid processed into a solid at regular room temperatures.

Let us know what you decide.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook
I wouldn't mess with it. It might be rancid...I hate rancid fats. Take it back and get refund or exchange.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Even if it clears when moved to a warmer location it looks contaminated. Take it back. To me, it would not be worth the risk of getting the family sick.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I have always heard that two years is the longest you can keep olive oil. Maybe the store kept it too long before it got to you. I would take it back. It just doesn't look right!
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
Thank you everyone for the input.

Well it cleared up a lot maybe 80% but there are still some deposits on the bottom. If it doesn't totally clear up by tomorrow I'll return it. Thanks again.
'a good cook cleans as they cook'...overheard Mom explaining to my sisters.
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I'd take it back. I have been reading many stories about olive oil. There is lots of fake or blended stuff on the market. Who knows what you've got.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
Head Chef

Freezing Olive Oil | The Olive Oil Source

"Oil that has not been winterized will clump and form needle-like crystals at refrigerator temperatures as the longer chain fats and waxes in the oil congeal, but the oil will not usually harden completely unless chilled further. Some olive varieties form waxes that produce long thin crystals, others form waxes that congeal into rosettes, slimy clumps, clouds, a swirl of egg white like material, or white sediment that the consumer may fear represents spoilage. These visual imperfections also may form outside the refrigerator during the winter when oil is exposed to cold temperatures during transport. The white color in the hardened oil does not indicate spoilage."

I thought this was interesting information--above.

I'm not aware of any visual clues to an oil being rancid. I thought the only way to tell if oil was rancid was by taste and smell. HTH

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote