"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Olive oil question

I like eating and cooking with olive oil. I always buy the extra virgin kind. I have tried many different brands but find them all taste the same, yet their prices range from$6 up. Am I missing something, they all taste the same to me. from the cheapest to the expensive.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I can't speak for EVOO made from American grown olives but generally over here Spanish, Greek and Italian taste different to me. They can vary in strength of flavour too.

Buy what you like best. There is a lot of preciousness about EVOO but I doubt your friends and family are going to judge you on the basis of your olive oil,

Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

To repeat my mantra , you will not find high-quality extra virgin olive oil in the grocery store. You need to find a specialty store where you can taste them before buying.

Check out this discussion we had last month: Looking for Good Quality Olive Oil.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
Head Chef

If you're heating olive oil all of the great nuances are lost.

Around here the good stuff is to finish a dish (a drizzle in your soup, across the top of your hummus, etc.), for salad dressings, for marinating vegetables, or for anything else that isn't cooked.

Butter / ghee or coconut oil are the things I use to saute. I don't deep fat fry anything so can't even offer an alternative for that.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Good point, Z. I meant to make that distinction but forgot. I use Bertolli for cooking and evoo from the specialty store for everything else. I don't deep-fry either.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Problem is that sometimes here we do not get pure oil, i mean from one source. You see it on the bottle a lot: "made from Spanish, Italian, etc. oil"
Old 02-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have noticed, but I need to look more at the labels. Like the bottle I have now Cento brand, Pure olive oil, then on the label it says packed in Italy, oil from italy and spain. Next time I buy some, I look at the labels a lot closer.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

The oils in the grocery stores are typically blends, which are fine for cooking. If you want high-quality extra virgin olive oil, you will need to find a specialty store.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The oils in the grocery stores are typically blends, which are fine for cooking. If you want high-quality extra virgin olive oil, you will need to find a specialty store.
I've found that I can get reasonable olive oil in the large (3 liter?) cans at one of the Italian markets in Denver. I really don't know if it's pure Italian or not, as I don't have any at the moment, but it was expensive enough that it could have been stored in a vault.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting article on choosing olive oils: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/t...s-coleman.html

Tags
oil, olive oil