Olive oil questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

budron

Assistant Cook
I live in the US but my husband works a lot in Italy and I received for Xmas a box of some wonderful olive oils from Ursini is the maker. There are three citrus oils, lemon, orange and tangerine and two olive oils that I believe are extra virgin ones. My first question is something special to do with them if anyone has any ideas. Second is if anyone knows Italian since I looked in my dictionary and can't tell what some of the words on the two regular olive oils are. Thanks in advance for the help. I get busy and can't get on here but could stay here all day asking questions.

For translations of the Italian, you could type it into the Google translation tool for a translation into English.

Flavored oils are nice to use in salad dressing and in marinades.

Babelfish is a decent translator. But there are people right here at DC that live in Italy and probably can help you.

Budron.... You lucky duck! I love flavored oils. Use them on meats, vegetables, salads, fruit, bread, etc. They are very expensive and a little goes along way. A sprinkle on vegetables instead of butter is wonderful. Yum!

I like flavored oils in salad dressing - try reducing a cup or two of orange or tangerin juice until it gets syrupy, and them mix it with orange olive oil and salt and pepper.

burdon, if you have any question regarding Italian language, feel free to ask me any time. I live in Roma, have been here for 4 years now and I understand the language pretty well, and even if it is something I don't, I can always ask my Italian partner...;) You can either ask here if something simple, or for something longer or there are many to ask you can PM or email me.

As for your olive oil, I never personally tried Ursini or flavoured oils, but I think they would be good in various salads and bruschettas.

Hope to hear from you soon!!

Licia

Thanks urmaniac13. My husband actually works part time in Milan. Has an apt. there but is not there enough to learn language which I think is sad but everyone he works with just speaks English because it's easier. Okay have a jar which looks like peppers (I'm guessing) called cachi and another smaller jar which I'm thinking is jelly of some kind called gelatina di mosto cotto.Uses for these would be great too since I'm sure all of this stuff was expensive and I'm not a very creative cook (which is why I loved finding this site. ) Hope you're enjoying Rome, visited my husband when he was in Milan and didn't like it a lot but have been to Rome and several other spots and loved it.

urmaniac13

which brand of olive oil would you buy if you were here is US? There are so many. All I know is I look for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. But as for best brand, don't know. Thanks

Ciao Budron!!
Firstly, to answer your question. "cachi" is a sort of persimmon, a type of fruit that looks like a plump orange tomato. There are two types, one better known as "persimmon" in english, harder, less moist one, there is another type, extremely juicy, sweet and soft, that melt in your mouth. The latter is absolutely delicious!! I have never seen a jarred version, so I am not sure how they would taste... what are they immersed in, syrup? oil? or something else?
"mosto cotto" is a sort of confection made from grapes, to be more exact what is left from making wine. It has a consistency of thick preservative, not too sweet, however there is no comparison to those ordinary "grape jellys"!! It has a distinctive rich flavour, my favourite way to use it is to top fried plantains or sweet potatoes with it. Also nice on pancakes, blini, waffles, crepes, etc. coupled with honey or whipped cream.

Yeah, I had the similar experience when I lived in Spain for 3 years. I was mostly inside the US naval base, and most Spaniards I came in contact spoke English, so I never got a chance to learn much of the language, and I sorely regret it...:huh: You know, there are a couple of other members here who live in Milano, RDG is a native Milanese, and Lulu, an English girl just moved to Milano with her Italian husband. So maybe they can help too if you have more questions about either city or Italian products. I love it in Rome, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay here!!

In the Kitchen said:
which brand of olive oil would you buy if you were here is US? There are so many. All I know is I look for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. But as for best brand, don't know. Thanks

good question, ITK, however I must confess I really learned to appreciate and taste the difference of various evoo's(extra virgine olive oil) after I came to Italy 4 years ago, and before that, I was not at all that picky... so I am not sure what is the best value for your money (also I realise they are much more expensive outside the mediterranean area). However considering this I started a thread while ago, and many people came up with their suggestions. I hope this thread will help you.

Here's a very simple yet wonderful way to serve broccoli using your lemon olive oil. Steam a pound of broccoli florets just til crisp tender. In a serving bowl, toss the florets with salt, pepper and about 4 Tbsp. lemon olive oil. I've been making this for years and my husband and kids loved it. Me too.
Try sprinkling cooked asparagus, preferabely roasted, with the lemon olive oil also, then season with salt and pepper and top with REAL grated parmesan cheese.

Back
Top Bottom