Olives, which category they would fit in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
what are olives,fruit or veggie or something else, I really do not have a clue what catagorey they fit under,love black olivies mmmm

Good question Kim....
39.gif
I would say vegetables, but I maybe wrong...

This is from Calolives.com

Olives are a fruit.
Agree.
Olives grow on trees. They are harvested in the fall as the fruits mature. When olives are picked from the tree they are green and very bitter tasting. They must go through a curing process before they can be eaten. The California Black Ripe Olive is processed in a curing solution that leaches the bitterness out, giving the olive its firm texture and smooth, mellow taste. The olives then go through several cold water rinses to remove all traces of the curing solution. During these rinses, a flow of air bubbling through the olives produces their natural, rich dark color.

Olives are one of two fruits in the world naturally high in fat. Olives have enough fat in them, that people in the Mediterrean have been pressing oil from olives for milliniea.

BTW, the other high-fat fruit is an avocado.

Sometimes a fruit IS a vegetable.

Botanically speaking olives are fruits. But so are many other things that by their usage are considered vegetables. (This was my major in college).

A fruit is a matured ovary. So a pumpkin is fruit. And an olive, and an avocado, and a tomato. Vegetable is a culinary term as opposed to a botanical one, and it is the non-sweet edible portion of a plant. So that makes pumpkins, olives, tomatos, and avocados vegetables too.

Chef_Jimmy said:
This is from Calolives.com

Olives are a fruit.
Agree. Olives grow on trees. They are harvested in the fall as the fruits mature. When olives are picked from the tree they are green and very bitter tasting. They must go through a curing process before they can be eaten. The California Black Ripe Olive is processed in a curing solution that leaches the bitterness out, giving the olive its firm texture and smooth, mellow taste. The olives then go through several cold water rinses to remove all traces of the curing solution. During these rinses, a flow of air bubbling through the olives produces their natural, rich dark color.

Yup yup.... olives are indeed fruits! I have a friend who is a fruitarian and she is always talking about getting in her daily allotment of "oily fruits" to stay healthy. (avocado and olives) :)

I love olives.... all kinds. Manzanilla, kalamata, garlic stuffed queen olives... yum! I am the type of person who is filled with glee when I see an "olive bar" at the deli or supermarket. I have a tendency to buy like 4 or 5 different kinds at one time because I cant decide which one I want! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom