OMG--chickpeas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, I like chick peas, I really like chick peas in hummus, but I've been disappointed with my efforts to marinate chick peas in a salad. So this morning I thought "the marinade I made for the shrimp on Saturday would be GREAT with chick peas..." I didn't quite follow it, but OMG, it was so good.

About 15-16oz chick peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T fresh chives
1 tsp dried French tarragaon
1/2 tsp fresh oragano
1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
1-2 tsp fresh (Navel) orange juice
2-3 T lime olive oil
1-2 T white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 oz Feta cheese
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 Marsala spice

I mixed everything together and then used my hand-blender to "puree" about 1/3 cup of the chick peas. OMG, was this good. I was going to let everything "meld" in the fridge with the addition of tomatoes, cukes, and red onion. I didn't get there. I ate it all for breakfast. OMG was it good.(The measurements are guesses--I was just using up chick peas that were in the freezer--didn't realize I'd have a culinary experience!).

Last edited:
I couldn't stop "tasting" it. So much for the salad for lunch tomorrow!

There was sweet, tart, and it had a bite, with the texture of the chick peas, it was really a culinary experience.

Oh--oops. I didn't add the feta cheese until after I pureed some of the chick peas.

Last edited:
DebLynn--Welcome to DC! I am now wishing I hadn't eaten all of it...I want more of it. I warned you it was a culinary experience <g>.

After you purred part of it did you mix in the rest of the chickpeas that were left whole? Did you put all of it on a salad or spread it on pita or something. I'm thinking maybe taking this and pureeing all of it and using it as a spread for sandwiches or as a dip.

Just as a nibble with drinks.....a can of chick peas, well drained, dry out a bit on a paper towel, then lots and lots of black pepper.....can't stop eating them!!!!!

My plan was to serve it on a bed of lettuce with toasted pita wedges--but I ate it out of the bowl. I was so bad and this was 8:00 a.m.--the birds wake me up at 4:15 (in my defence) and I had a conference call with co-workers in Europe at 10:00 a.m., so I had to be prepped--they were ending their work day after the call--so I was wacked re: when to eat what (but, shhhh...I'll eat chick peas any time of day). I added the pureed chick peas back in with the whole chick peas, etc. I did not puree more than 1/3-1/2 c of the chick peas with the herbs, etc. I had put the juice from the chick peas (I freeze them in their juice) in the dog bowl--next time I might reserve about 1/4 cup of that to add to the chick peas etc being pureed), and then tossed in the feta cheese chunks. That's when things went south--I took one taste and said "to heck with the tomatoes, cukes, onion and the bed of lettuce." (I still have some chick peas in the freezer--I'm resisting making it again--it would make great hummus without the feta cheese--or maybe with the feta cheese). I can't think about this anymore--too much of a culinary experience to undertake twice in one day! I was shocked it was so good. I normally find the chick pea marinade stuff I do is boring, no matter how hard I try to make it spicy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom