"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i look forward to easter dinner as much as thanksgiving every year.

dw makes a traditional eastern european easter dinner of baked ham, a casserole of kielbasi/kraut/onions/potatoes, steamed asparagus, steamed stringbeans, coleslaw, potato salad, shredded beets and horseradish, farmer's cheese, and rye bread.

and there's only 3 of us.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

New Years Day with ham hocks and collard greens with all that lovely pot likker.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Once a year, usually at Christmas, we decide what Ethnic dinner we would like to have for our dinner. Money is no object as it is just the one time. I build it all from scratch. There is no one favorite, I'm kinda spoiled, I make Thanksgiving meals anytime I like. So it has to be the one time a year I do something wild, extravagant and fun.
I really like your idea. I think I will start something like it. Even though I live alone, it would be a way to celebrate.

When I was a kid, I remember negotiating with my parents that since they had Mother's Day and Father's day, we should also have a Sally's Day. They agreed and once a year we would do something special. Of course at that age, I was horse crazy, so one of the Sally's Days Mom took me to a horse show. It was wonderful seeing all those beautiful animals strutting their stuff with all those fancy gaits, and is something I will always remember.

When I read your post I thought about how I really want some lobster, and homemade oyster stew.

Your spare no expense comment made me realize that I could just pick a day to do just that without feeling guilty about the money and just treat myself once a year to an anything goes dinner. Thanks for the idea.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
Head Chef

See...we're nothing but a bunch of instigators!!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Smile

This is a fun thread to read! So many good feelings come up when you think about holidays, family and wonderful memories!

Peppermint tea on Christmas morning. I have to have a cup of peppermint tea on Christmas and it's the best cup of tea all year long!

Pumpkin Spiced Coffee!!!!!

Definitely Thanksgiving dinner and my husband's family has done a fantastic job of making Thanksgiving even better (who would have thought it could get better??)

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Tolkien
SweetTeboho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

I realized my salad was nothing compared to Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. If I were to pick a meal that I do once a year and cherish, it would have to be our youth Christmas Banquet. The menu is always different, I have lots of parent helpers, but it is just such a labour of love from planning to the actual meal.

We start planning about now to figure out the menu, theme, decorations, party favours, etc. and assigning of tasks. Then we get together about two weeks before to pull it all together. Now we aren't talking pizzas, or other teen fare - last year was baron of beef with au jus, cranberry chicken and all the trimmings, plus a dessert buffet.

Now the youth themselves absolutely love this day. They bring their friends and they dress up.....yes, all of them guys and girls alike discard their jeans and t-shirts for some pretty fancy duds!

Yes, I think this is the once a year that I love the most!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I really like your idea. I think I will start something like it. Even though I live alone, it would be a way to celebrate.

When I was a kid, I remember negotiating with my parents that since they had Mother's Day and Father's day, we should also have a Sally's Day. They agreed and once a year we would do something special. Of course at that age, I was horse crazy, so one of the Sally's Days Mom took me to a horse show. It was wonderful seeing all those beautiful animals strutting their stuff with all those fancy gaits, and is something I will always remember.

When I read your post I thought about how I really want some lobster, and homemade oyster stew.

Your spare no expense comment made me realize that I could just pick a day to do just that without feeling guilty about the money and just treat myself once a year to an anything goes dinner. Thanks for the idea.
It just makes sense to treat ourselves once a year. With no family nearby and being unable to make the trip each holiday, Shrek and I have made our own traditions.

Most Christmas's have been celebrated on our Anniversary, 2 days after Christmas. I like to spend the holidays with my patient's at work. They deserve having someone there who WANTS to be there. Not just someone who couldn't get the day off.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #18
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Flower View Post
For me it depends on the time of the year because I like fruit and veg according to their normal growing season. Unfortunately in England we don't have Thanksgiving, so have to rely on Christmas which is a fave time for me.

Of food, I am still trying different ethnics. But I love Indian food, also Thai. But like it fairly hot. During summertime I like Italian cuisine and depending on the dish, a nice Bararello or a crisp chilled Frascati to partner it.
I like the new avatar.What was the last one Moon Flower?

I was under the impression you were the 13yr old daughter of Linix.Am I wrong? You seem very mature for your age and have made a couple references to wine and bringing back some cases of it.Are you a wine drinker/lover?

I am not judging but I crack up a little everytime you write about it.My best freind's mom in grade school would give 1/2 wine 1/2 grape juice to the 3 yr old before nap time.I'll let my 9yr old taste my wine anytime she wants and give her about 2 oz. on special occasions.

BTW,You also seem quite well educated for a 13yr old.

Kudos

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Thanksgiving is ours also. The food is a big part of it, but we have so many family members present then. We have it at the farm - my grandmothers old place which we have redone from stem to stern. We usually go up early in the week to get all the provisions and make as many things ahead as possible. My mother is approaching 93 and still comes every year. We usually end up with a birthday cake for her (which isn't eaten because everyone is so full of the traditional food) but it makes her happy.