Once upon a time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
We used to live in tin sheds and Mum [Mom to some of you] fed the family with "good tucker" cooked on the wood stove. I don't recall ever living in a tin shed but I remember those who did --- with a dirt floor, no electricity and just the wood stove to provide the ways and means to provide for the family.

Have a look at this link which gives some of the very first recipes used by our G/Grandparents which formed the base of many recipes we use now days. Especially note some of the remedies [hints] such as adding a lettuce leaf to soak up fat from a soup.

Old Australian Food Recipes | Recipes, Cooking and Delicious Meals the old time way in Australia

Enjoy

Some neat recipes in there, attie! I am interested in the ice cream recipes, since it looks as if you don't need special equipment.

The old-time hints are great!

Lee

My grandparents had a house that they built themselves with wood from a building that was being torn down. It was a great little house but no indoor plumbing. We had to go to the outhouse, which scared me to death as a little girl. It was in Louisiana and they had a gazillion spiders. Ewwww, it makes me shiver to this day to think of it. But as a result, I developed a very strong bladder! She also cooked on a wood fired stove and she was an incredible cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom