Onion Brule???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platt

Assistant Cook
Im having to make an onion brule tomorrow in class. I was given a demonstartion in class this week but may have forgot something and wanted to ask the forums how is it done.
I believe that im suppose to peel the onion, cut in half and saute the flat side until browned in a small amount of butter.
Can someone tell me if this is the righ thing to do i have a lab tomorrow morning and have to finish writting up my lab sheets tonight. Thanks for any help given.

I have never heard of that, so I did a search. All I found was this: Oignon brule (Fr.): "Burnt onion." A peeled, halved onion seared on a flat-top or in a skillet and used to enhance the color of stock and consomme.

Everything else I found just said that it is carmelized onion. Try doing a search, and maybe you will have more luck than I did, since you know more about what you are looking for. Or, PM ironchef, as he knows how to make all kinds of fancy dishes (and does for a living).

:) Barbara

Actually, Barbara is right (women usually are) you are actually making an onion brulee just like the term used in desserts. It refers to surface caramelization of food. Cut the onion in half and melt a small amount of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cut side down, and let it cook until the surface caramelizes 8-12 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom