Onion Soup Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It makes great hamburgers. We just follow the recipe on the box for fast with a touch of fancy hamburgers. It's a great thing to stretch cheap hamburger with and make it not so cheap.

I like to use it to make french dips:

In a crockpot, place 1 beef roast
Top with the following:
1 envelope onion soup mix
a few Tbsp mustard
2 cans campbell's double strength beef broth

Cook on low 8 hours and fork shred meat. Serve on french rolls, which have
a bit of horseradish sauce on them. You can also add some good white cheese.

Thumper just reminded me. Cut potatoes into wedges, then coat with oil (I use olive, but in fact any would do). Then put in a package of the onion soup and toss until all the potatoes are coated and the soup mix is evenly distributed and moist. As usual, no amounts or times! Put the wedges on a baking sheet (try to get most skin-side-down, but it isn't necessary). This is where I always get stuck. I can never remember what temps for how long. I think maybe 400 degrees for a half hour or so. Why is it that I can put out a perfect meal every time, yet not remember exactly how I did it?

BTW, Liptons makes a few other great dried soups that really help meatballs and meat loaf -- I think one is beefy mushroom and another is something like mushroom-onion. For almost all of the recipes mentioned, they even add another dimension. Just remember to NOT SALT if you're using any of them. They ARE the salt.

SizzlininIN said:
Wow guys and gals..........some great ideas! Thanks so much!
Watch out for the roasted potato recipe. It completely shook my confidence, ruined a pan, and two days later my house still smells. When you can't roast potatoes, you really start to wonder about yourself.

Sephora said:
Watch out for the roasted potato recipe. It completely shook my confidence, ruined a pan, and two days later my house still smells. When you can't roast potatoes, you really start to wonder about yourself.

:LOL:

I make roasted red potatoes every now and then, and my wife loves them. I burnt them up a time or two at first, too, and sometimes even now have an "Oh crap" moment when I all of a sudden remember that they're in there and that I haven't checked on them in a while. I always have to take a minute or so to stand there in front of the oven trying to remember what temperature to use, and time. Never occurred to me that I could use a soup mix to season them, and I will be trying that out soon. I have a packet of garlic-herb mix that I thought would make a good sour-cream dip, but it turned out to be too much spice for that, so maybe it'll wake up the potatoes.

Hi everyone,
Iam new here but this is one of my husbands favorite.
6 cans(whole) white potatoes, drained(Iuse my own canned)
1 pkt onion soup mix
1 stick(1/2 cup) butter melted
garlic powder
pepper
preheat oven 350*

In large mixing bowl place canned potatoes(if using from a can cut larger ones in half), onion soup mix, sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper to suit your taste. Pour on melted butter and toss to coat potatoes. Put in greased baking dish. Bake at 350* until crisp and nicely browned.

Back
Top Bottom