Onion Soup Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok............I have 2 boxes of this stuff in my pantry and I'd like to use it up. What are some of your favorite recipes using this?

I have one that I plan on doing this weekend. I like to mix it into ground beef with a little water and grill the burgers.

Cut up some red potatoes, toss with olive oil in a baking dish then sprinkle the dry onion soup mix onto the potatoes and toss.

Bake at 425 F until the potatoes are done, tossing once after 15 minutes. A packet will do for a 13x9 baking dish filled with one layer of potatoes.

I almost hate to say this - but I love to use it in sour cream dip. I know it's a golden oldie, but yet it's the first dip that disappears at parties. Either it's good, or I know a lot of nostalgic people - lol!!!

BreezyCooking said:
I almost hate to say this - but I love to use it in sour cream dip. I know it's a golden oldie, but yet it's the first dip that disappears at parties. Either it's good, or I know a lot of nostalgic people - lol!!!

Agreed! I love it.

A nice addition to the dip is chopped clams and some fresh cut green onion.

Great for an add on for all ground meats, and finishing sauces too.

One more idea - we always used this for roasting a pig and also for the hot dogs for those who turned their noses up at a pig on a spit... ;)

HONEY BBQ SAUCE FOR PIG AND HOT DOGS

1 pouch Cambpell's Dry Onion Soup & Recipe mix
3/4 cup Ketchup
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or 2 cloves garlic, minced
In a 1 qt. saucepan combine all ingredients. Over high heat, heat to boiling, reduce heat to low. Cook 5 min., stirring occasionally.
Description:
"Because of the honey, don't start lathering too soon or meat may burn."

Most of my dishes that I use it in are winter type. My absolute favorite is my vegetable beef soup, I also use it mixed with cream of mushroom soup, A1, and lowerys on top of a roast to make a gravy.
I also like it on potatoes like Andy posted.

Andy M. said:
Cut up some red potatoes, toss with olive oil in a baking dish then sprinkle the dry onion soup mix onto the potatoes and toss.

Bake at 425 F until the potatoes are done, tossing once after 15 minutes. A packet will do for a 13x9 baking dish filled with one layer of potatoes.

This is what would get my vote. I have not prepared potatoes this way for awhile, but I agree that it is very good.

I use more in cold days. I mix a box of onion soup with mustard and evaporated milk (about 2 or 3 Tbsp) and I marinate in some chicken filet for a few hours. Then i coat filets in bread crumbs and dry parmesan and cook them in the oven or fry them. I think you can let the bread crumbs and grill them now that we are in summer.

I use the onion soup mix on beef roast, chicken, pork chops, soups, stew, dips, Meat loaf and burgers,Pork roast, Have even put it in spaghetti sauce.Yes it's great on potatos too. Makes a great dressing to stuff chicken or cornish game hens.

I also make a dynamite pot roast with it. I brown the meat, put it in a dutch oven with a package of onion soup mix, two cans of beef broth, cup of good red wine, one onion cut up. Cover, and cook for about 4 hours. Makes a very tasty gravy. And the wine tenderizes the meat.

Meat loaf. Meat balls. Any soup, stew or beans that seems to need more salt (instead of the salt).

1 chuck roast
1 family size cream of mush room soup
1 pack of onion soup mix
1.5 cans water
salt/pepper taste
cut up onions about 1 cup
cook on low for about 3-4 hours
last hour add carrots celery poatoes about 3 cups.
makes a delicious dish...

All measurements are estimated.

Add 1 pkg of onion soup mix to 1/2 cup russian salad dressing and 1/4 cup apricot jam, add a little water and pour over chicken pieces, bake and serve.
It is very good!

Karen21 said:
All measurements are estimated.

Add 1 pkg of onion soup mix to 1/2 cup russian salad dressing and 1/4 cup apricot jam, add a little water and pour over chicken pieces, bake and serve.
It is very good!

Karen, that sounds GOOD! I'm going to give it a try very soon. It will be a change from my usual Italian dressing marinade or Golden Mushroom Soup sauce.

Ok......get an english cut pot roast........ place onenough heavy duty foil to wrap......add one can cream of mushroom soup and an envelope of onion soup mix ........wrap it up and cook in oven at 325 for three hours.

Back
Top Bottom