Onion Tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
What is your method of chopping, dicing, mincing onions with the least amount of tears??? Mine is that I wear contacts and it never affects me... Just realized this the other night when I had taken out my contacts and put on my glasses... I then went in to make dinner and when chopping the onion, I was crying like a baby... Anybody out there have a TNT way to handle the almighty tear maker??? :devilish::devilish::devilish:

1. The best prevention is using a very sharp knife! The sharper the blade, the fewer onion cells are ruptured and less sulfur dioxide released - the stuff that mixes with your eye moisture to create sulfuric acid.

2. Work quickly.

3. One person I know uses a small desk fan to blow away the fumes while chopping.

I refrigerate my onions, no tears. I only tear up when the onion has been sitting out at room temperature.

What Selkie said.

Sharp knife minimizes fumes.

Then, keep the fumes away from your eyes by wearing swim goggles or by using a fan, or both.

Also, fresher onions tear less.

Then, keep the fumes away from your eyes by wearing swim goggles... .

That would be an awsome pic!:LOL: The kids wear the ones that reflect and look silver, they are actually pretty cool. Most of their swim team has them.

I've heard of that, but it's still funny.:LOL:

That would be an awsome pic!:LOL: The kids wear the ones that reflect and look silver, they are actually pretty cool. Most of their swim team has them.

I've heard of that, but it's still funny.:LOL:

I don't bother with that. I have learned to chop fast. Once in a while I tear but it doesn't really bother me.

Yes contact lenses are great protection from onion tears.

Another effective solution is to have an electric fan (even a small one) blowing the onion fumes away from you while you're chopping.

Ha Ha Andy, They actually sell onion goggles I just googled it but don't know how to link the picture to this post... Where is Mollyanne when I need her... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

The tip I learned only works if you aren't chatting with someone as you chop onions. :mrgreen: Keep your mouth closed.

:)Barbara

One of the easiest things you can do to stop or cut way down on tears is to put the onion in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes, and peel and chop immediately after taking it out of the freezer.

Like I said earlier, I keep my onions in the fridge... cold onion: no tears. at all. ever.

Back
Top Bottom