Originally Posted by snickerdoodle
I have to ask what the reason would be for microwaving a grape, other than too much time on your hands
. I'm intrigued!
Bullseye, snickerdoodle! A university professor (I can't remember which institution) was featured on NPR radio's "Science Friday." He'd done a bunch of odd things inside a microwave oven and posted a video website, primarily to demonstrate/teach students the physical principles of microwave radiation. i.e. he had too much time on his hands.
It's kinda scary that the only thing protecting us from boiling into toast when we use a microwave is that the mosquito mesh that's built into the oven's door has holes that are precisely too small for the high amplitude wavelengths of this fatal radiation to pass through.