Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I was just wondering if anyone knows why chopped onions often arc when they are cooked in the microwave. Happens all the time and I just decided it's time to find out why.

I didn't know they did. I've never cooked onions in the microwave. I'll be watching to find the answer.

I worked with a guy who put a light bulb in a glass of water so the metal was covered and turned it on.

The bulb lit!

I gotta try the onion thing!

I've also heard (never tried) that an average grape cut in half, still attached to each other by a sliver of skin, will also arc in the microwave. I'm not a physicist, but I suspect it's just a simple function of two ends of a conductive medium (including water) being harmonic with the wavelength of microwaves, so that you'd get the same effect with a piece of potato carved into the shape of a chopped onion. I could be wrong, and in any case, I think this is one of those things, 4meanandthem's enthusiastic experiments nothwithstanding, that I'd preface, "don't try this at home."

I've also heard (never tried) that an average grape cut in half, still attached to each other by a sliver of skin, will also arc in the microwave.

I have to ask what the reason would be for microwaving a grape, other than too much time on your hands :LOL:. I'm intrigued!

Regarding the arcing onions... I think I've experienced this before too, now that I think about it. I don't normally microwave onions but I know I've had some things arc in the microwave unexpectedly and I thought it was time to get a new microwave maybe (I didn't). It's a mystery to me!

I have to ask what the reason would be for microwaving a grape, other than too much time on your hands :LOL:. I'm intrigued!
Bullseye, snickerdoodle! A university professor (I can't remember which institution) was featured on NPR radio's "Science Friday." He'd done a bunch of odd things inside a microwave oven and posted a video website, primarily to demonstrate/teach students the physical principles of microwave radiation. i.e. he had too much time on his hands.

It's kinda scary that the only thing protecting us from boiling into toast when we use a microwave is that the mosquito mesh that's built into the oven's door has holes that are precisely too small for the high amplitude wavelengths of this fatal radiation to pass through.

Bullseye, snickerdoodle! A university professor (I can't remember which institution) was featured on NPR radio's "Science Friday." He'd done a bunch of odd things inside a microwave oven and posted a video website, primarily to demonstrate/teach students the physical principles of microwave radiation. i.e. he had too much time on his hands.

It's kinda scary that the only thing protecting us from boiling into toast when we use a microwave is that the mosquito mesh that's built into the oven's door has holes that are precisely too small for the high amplitude wavelengths of this fatal radiation to pass through.

I'm so disappointed that there wasn't a culinary reason to microwave grapes!

Okay, this is way more info than I expected and I am very appreciative. Thank you so much for your reply. I love all of the stuff I learn about cooking here.

As for Lex Luthor: As it happens I have a son named Alex. He would never allow me to call him Lex as planned when he was born. It wasn't till a Superman fanatic explained the situation to me that I understood my sons objections. I mean I knew about Superman But never knew anything about Luthor. So of course Luthor is never invited over even though he has hinted strongly for an invitation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom