Onions for children

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've studied human psychology as a "hobby" most of my life. In high school and college, I always took whatever psych courses I could as electives. The subject has always fascinated me.

That said, blind testing by food manufacturers has proven beyond doubt that it isn't the flavor of onion that children and adults dislike, (except in rare instances), it's the texture and appearance.

When cooked in various methods, both children and adults who profess to *hate* onions, have said dishes made with the cooked juices of onion were great and enjoyable.

One test I read years ago had the onions pressed in a hydraulic press with something like 10 thousand psi, the resulting amount of fiber was tiny, and almost the entire onion was reduced to nothing more than juice. That juice was prepared in several ways and put into various recipes. Onion haters loved them.

If the pieces are there, onion haters hate it. If the juice alone is used, onion haters usually don't even realize the onions are there.

There was a time when I was very young that I didn't like onions in potato salad, but it was because the onions were hot tasting.

That didn't last long, and was probably caused by the pretty red pepper I insisted, against my mother's warning, on biting into!

It's even more difficult when an adult member of the family refuses to eat basic foods and ingredients.

Yes it is, it makes me quite annoyed but I don't know what it's like to have such a problem with a type of food. I will eat almost anything

Lol, I was probably one of THOSE kind of parents with my own daughter. Sorry, but I don't give in to children's complaints. My favorite line to use with her was "If you don't want to eat what I make, you know where to find the peanut butter and jelly."

She's of college age now and I'm happy to report that her finickiness is a thing of the past - except for one thing: she no longer likes peanut butter and jelly. :LOL:

My parents were not mean but they did try to prepare us for the world outside of our home.

Like I said earlier I don't have any children, so that makes me an expert in raising them:ROFLMAO:

I have always followed the expert advice of another childless expert, Barney Fife! Barney says when it comes to children ya gotta: Nip it in the bud! Just nip it, nip it, nip it! In the bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize that is easier said than done but, I truly think it pays dividends in the long run. This is of course just my opinion and no children were harmed in the formulation of it.

Last edited:
My mother told me a cute story about a relative who asked her not to put onions in her dressing (stuffing to some). She left some without onions and saw that the relative ate the dressing with onions NOT what she had asked for. I agree it may be the larger pieces of onion that some don't like. Our grandaughter asked me to not put pickles in the potato salad and my sister asked me to not put onions in. So I put both in as usual and they both ate and asked for seconds...nothing mentioned about what they asked to have left out.

I used to puree the tomato/green pepper/onion mix for tomato sauce for pasta and pizza. My boys did object to the texture and not the flavor of the veggies. The older one is still picky, but the younger one eats everything.

I don't have children so I can't really comprehend this problem but, why can't they pick the offending items out of the food?

It's actually a sanity problem. It's excruciating to sit there and watch your child pick tiny pieces of onion out of her food while everyone else is eating. Especially if she has a dickie fit every time a piece of onion she didn't spot makes it halfway to her mouth or (oh the horror!) into her mouth. It's just not something you want to have to endure as a parent. Far better to hide the onions. And then if you want to be cruel, tell your poor child after dinner that she just ate onions. Haha.

my parents were not mean but they did try to prepare us for the world outside of our home.

Like i said earlier i don't have any children, so that makes me an expert in raising them:ROFLMAO:

I have always followed the expert advice of another childless expert, barney fife! Barney says when it comes to children ya gotta: Nip it in the bud! Just nip it, nip it, nip it! In the bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize that is easier said than done but, i truly think it pays dividends in the long run. This is of course just my opinion and no children were harmed in the formulation of it.

View attachment 12221

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom