"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Onions for children

i'm just after making another savoury pizza pie and my daughter is asking me to pick out the minute onions out of the tomato sauce, i'd love if there was some kinda of paste i could make, store and use to combat the texture of the onions that she and now my son are so adverse to!!my ideal recipe would be an onion mashed up in some way so that i could store it in glass jars in my fridge in batches of one or two onions, and i could whip them out instead of chopping onions and adding them to the recipe. maybe it's a tall order but all suggestions are very welcome.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Use a food processor to puree onions and freeze them in recipe portions.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Master Chef

I have a mini chopper that works like a little food processor. I often use that to mince up onions if I want a smoother texture to a soup or sauce but want onion flavor. I have frozen it before but find that it gets very watery when thawed. I just pull it out and "mush" up the onion instead of chopping it when I'm cooking now instead of trying to freeze it.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I boil onions in water and then put it in a blender when they're soft, pour the mixture into ice cube trays, freeze it, then dump the cubes into plastic bags. When you need onion, just get a few cubes and throw them in whatever you're making. I use this technique mainly for curries.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust View Post
I boil onions in water and then put it in a blender when they're soft,...

Why do you boil them first?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Since I use the onion cubes towards the end of cooking, having them already cooked before frozen prevents a raw onion flavor. Here's the exact recipe from natco that I adapted to fit my own needs, in its original form:

2 lge white onions, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic
3tbs vegetable oil
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of cinnamon

Place raw onion and garlic into blender. Add enough water to come about halfway up the side of the blender and blend until WELL smoothed.

Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat, adding the mixture (it will spit!!!)

Reduce this down until it gets dryer then add the spices and continue frying until it turns into what looks a bit like bread dough. This may take some time but is worth it for the final taste! Be careful not to burn this as it will be ruined.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust
Since I use the onion cubes towards the end of cooking, having them already cooked before frozen prevents a raw onion flavor. Here's the exact recipe from natco that I adapted to fit my own needs, in its original form:

2 lge white onions, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic
3tbs vegetable oil
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of cinnamon

Place raw onion and garlic into blender. Add enough water to come about halfway up the side of the blender and blend until WELL smoothed.

Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat, adding the mixture (it will spit!!!)

Reduce this down until it gets dryer then add the spices and continue frying until it turns into what looks a bit like bread dough. This may take some time but is worth it for the final taste! Be careful not to burn this as it will be ruined.
This sounds really interesting, onion concentrate. Wonder if onion paste is available in a toothpaste tube, like the Amore tomato paste and garlic paste.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gor View Post
i'm just after making another savoury pizza pie and my daughter is asking me to pick out the minute onions out of the tomato sauce, i'd love if there was some kinda of paste i could make, store and use to combat the texture of the onions that she and now my son are so adverse to!!my ideal recipe would be an onion mashed up in some way so that i could store it in glass jars in my fridge in batches of one or two onions, and i could whip them out instead of chopping onions and adding them to the recipe. maybe it's a tall order but all suggestions are very welcome.
How about onion powder?

I don't have children so I can't really comprehend this problem but, why can't they pick the offending items out of the food?

I can only imagine what would have happened if I asked one of my parents to do this!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I have a mini chopper that works like a little food processor. I often use that to mince up onions if I want a smoother texture to a soup or sauce but want onion flavor. I have frozen it before but find that it gets very watery when thawed. I just pull it out and "mush" up the onion instead of chopping it when I'm cooking now instead of trying to freeze it.
I use my mini chopper in the same way. I even use it to mash up the onions and carrots to use in gravy. You don't need to thicken the gravy as much after adding the mushed up veggies. My hubby loves the flavor of my gravy, but hates onions and carrots!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

For certain recipes, I use my mini processor to puree or almost puree onions, garlic and parsley so there finished product won't have any big chunks of veggie in it. Meatballs and meatloaf come to mind right away.

Tags
onions