Onions - Purchase secrets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KCSharp

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know the secret to buying onions? I like to use raw red onions in salads, raw white or yellow in tacos and a strong one really takes over and can stay with you for the day or more! I've tried pulling them back the top layer in the store but to no avail! Thanks:ermm:

why are you pulling back the top layer in the store? Are you doing that, then putting them back on the shelf? Drives me nuts when people do that with corn. totally unnecessary, and it leaves the corn they've "opened" to dry out. I like to look for an onion that has a nice, tight covering. That said, yellow onions can have a bite. Look for the sweeter onions, by type. I just had a 10/15 onion last night, a sweeter onion developed in Texas. Walla Walla, Vidalias, are a couple of types of sweeter onions.

I give the bitter strong smelling onions to the produce guy as I think all of us should. Nothing worse than getting ready to prepare a meal, only to discover rotten ingredients. I have found that all varieties of onions can get too strong to tolerate raw, just wondered if anyone new a hint. :ermm:

Some onions are just stronger than others, even within the same type. If the onion is firm all around, there is nothing wrong with it.

If the flavor of a particular onion is too strong, use less.

Drives me nuts when people do that with corn. totally unnecessary, and it leaves the corn they've "opened" to dry out.

I went your route 3 times and threw out half the corn every time due to under development and worms. I check my corn now, especially now that its 3 for a dollar instead of the 10 for a dollar it was 5 years ago. (I shake my fist at you E85!!!)

I buy my corn form local farmers. THey give me an extra cob per dozen for not opening it. If I find a worm, I cut it out...probably the sweetest cob in the bunch!

As onions dry they get stronger...less water more concentrated flavor.

Look for sweet onions of good weight and size. Smaller onions may be stronger. White are mild, red sweeter, yellow strongest.

If a farm market has fresh onions (not dried) get those...often called candy oniions...great for raw use!

Thank you for your all ideas about using onions. Actually, I hace no ideas how onions different are! I usually use only yellow onion for every kinds of dishes; salad, curry, soup. I'll use your tips next time.

I've very rarely encountered problems with corn. I buy from locals, too, baker's dozen. I just don't like seeing opened ears of corn at the grocery store, with no evidence of anything wrong, they just don't like the "look" of it or something.

Onions that are too strong can benefit from a water and salt solution for a while. It seems to remove some of the sulphur that makes the onions strong. I use Vidalia onions exclusively any time they are available and other sweet onions when they are not. I do use red onions in some dishes also.

I give the bitter strong smelling onions to the produce guy as I think all of us should. Nothing worse than getting ready to prepare a meal, only to discover rotten ingredients. I have found that all varieties of onions can get too strong to tolerate raw, just wondered if anyone new a hint. :ermm:

I'd be pretty miffed if I saw someone peeling an onion's skin away in the store.

Heat and oxydation can make onions bitter but you can't tell by their smell.

More importantly, what your palate calls "strong" or even "bitter" someone else will call "delicious."

Rotten onions are easy to spot. They are soft. THEY should be given over to the produce employees. By peeling away the skin of the onion you are ruining perfectly good food. Which raises the cost to everyone if it's thrown away.

White are mild, red sweeter, yellow strongest.
I think this differs by region. The yellow onions I get are generally much sweeter than white or red. I would say, on average, the white onions I get are the strongest then red then yellow.

This little gem is an onion keeper!

ONIONS - A COUNTRY GARDEN COOKBOOK

Amazon.com: Onions: A Country Garden Cookbook (Country Garden Cookbooks) (9780002554527): Jesse Ziff Cool, Deborah Jones: Books

img_839614_0_b94b508e381ec4e57e100075fa4d0355.jpg

Description: Available from amazon.com used for $1.49 and up.

I have this book & I love it ... a real helper with onions A to Z!

:chef:

Always check the ends of the onion -- both the root end and especially the stem end. If it's not firm, put it back. I've found that onions with soft or squishy ends are far more apt to be partially rotten inside, even if they feel firm around the middle.

Back
Top Bottom