"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
My middle daughter does not like the onion texture, and says she does like the taste, I just chop them up very fine and she doesn't complain much at all. I like the idea of making a separate little meatloaf, if it's not too much trouble, maybe making them all mini-loaves would not make that guest's meal stand out.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

I don't like onions in my meatloaf either, although I do sometimes use the old Ann Landers Meatloaf with onion soup mix.
I make a good meatloaf using spaghetti sauce for seasoning.

Italian Meatloaf

3 lb ground chuck
2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1-1/2 sleeves crushed saltines
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbl Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Reserve 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. In large bowl, mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Place in large casserole dish and pat firmly into a round loaf.
Cover and cook in microwave on med-high for 15 minutes. Remove lid, discard any drippings, and spread remaing sauce on top of loaf. Cook, uncoverd, on high for 10 more minutes. Check temperature with meat thermometer if in doubt. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.

You can also use the traditional method of cooking at 350 degrees in the oven, covered for 45 minutes, then top with sauce and bake uncovered for the last 15 minutes. (This cooking time is approximate...depends on how thick your loaf is...use your trusty meat thermometer.) Again, let it stand 10 minutes or so.
If you do cook your meatloaf in the oven, you may as well throw in some baked potatoes or a dish of macaroni while you have the stove on.

Whatever recipe you use, just remember not to overcook the meat. Your meatloaf will continue to cook after you get it out, and you don't want it to be dry.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Oh, dearie me! If a guest doesn't like onions I'm likely to call in for pizza, because cooking is pointless! I doubt there is anything I cook that doesn't have onions; that is how I was raised. Chives, green onions, shallots, scallions, leeks, red, yellow, white, Vidalia/WallaWalla/Maui, you name it. The only savory dish I don't put some form of onions in is a couple of garlic dishes. I chime in with everyone else; chop them fine and sautee them until soft if it is a texture thing. Funny; I find shallots milder than regular onions and use them when I want a delicate touch.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I suppose I'm not being nice, but I don't ask anyone how they like a dish. I've had some that said they didn't like onions in something, another didn't like peppers in something. If I make some the way they say they like it, they still eat some of the rest, so I say "let them pick it out". I have a friend who said she didn't like onions in black bean soup. When I made it she really enjoyed it and makes it herself now - with onions. If someone has a dietary problem with something, that is entirely diffferent, but if someone is too picky, they can eat somewhere else. I suppose I feel this way because we were always taught to only say nice things about the food. I certainly don't like to hear an adult behave like a spoiled child about food. There are too many different foods to make an issue over one.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 AM   #15
Senior Cook

When I want the onion flavor, but not the texture, I grate the onion. You don't fnd any pieces of onion which make my dh very happy.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
Cook

Isn't this interesting? the presumption that we all are speaking about the same type of onion....

A shallot to me {Australian] is the immature version of a spring onion that has not developed the swollen white bulb.

I had to do a quick Graphics Search to pull up a photo of your "shallot"

shallots are shaped like small brown onions with papery brown skins.
{Cook's Thesaurus}

green onion = scallion = bunching onion = shallot (in Australia) = spring onion (in Britain) = Chinese onion = stone leek = cibol
{Cook's Thesaurus}
Old 02-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #17
Cook

Isn't it funny how we just take our cooking and food terms for granted and think everyone knows what we mean? Makes me look at the bigger picture lol
Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Shallots and onions are pretty different animals.
It's not just a question of intensity of flavor, but of the flavour itself.

Furthermore, there is obviously more than one type of onion, or of shallot for that matter.

On the whole, shallots have a sharper taste than onion, with a bitterness on the end.
There are two types of shallots where I live. The rarer variety is the gray shallot, which is smaller and more potent, with a thicker skin.

One of the greatest, but simplest dishes in the world is bavette ŕ l'échalote. This consists of hanger steak sereved with onions gently fried in butter.

I also find that shallots have a more assertive taste with lots of salads and are particularly good with tomatoes because they counteract their sweetness.

Just divine.
Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
I've only messed with shallots once and they tasted remarkably... like onions. I had read they were milder but the one I had wasn't so much.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

I have always found shallots much more mild and delicate in flavor than onions. Of course like others have mentions there are so many different varieties of both that comparing them is like comparing...onions to shallots