"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

The Stop and Shop supermarket chain has such a service called Pea Pod.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Executive Chef

The only thing I have ordered on line that might be considered food is single serve coffee K-Cups for my Keurig or coffee pods for my Senseo and my Krups Home Cafe. I have since put my Keurig machne in storage and quit supporting Keurig/Green Mountain Coffee because they are restraining the trade of their licensees and attempting to create a monopoly, and I have a new Perfect Pod Maker to make my own pods for the Home Cafe.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Head Chef

I could not, without extraordinary expense, get the majority of my groceries online. I buy relatively little in cans, other than tomatoes. Rice and beans are too cheap to ship. Most of my cart is fresh produce, meat, and seafood. The weekly trip to the grocery is something I enjoy, I know the fishmongers and guys in the premium meat market, and most of my meal decisions are made on the fly, as I see what's available that week and get to pick the pieces I will take home. I drive 15 miles for groceries, because the store of the same chain in my town is pretty miserable, and the other is outstanding. But then, I do almost no other shopping of any kind in stores, other than hardware stores.

I do buy some foods online. I buy cheese in four to six pound blocks from a place in New York, because they're much cheaper than the grocery, even with shipping, and the quality is good.

I buy some things from Amazon that the grocery doesn't carry:

Caned tuna of a quality and sourcing I like.
Bomba rice and an Italian rissoto rice.
More Than Gourmet concentrated stocks and such.
Some spices, although there is now a Penzey's in the area.

I'm on Amazon Prime and get the free two-day shipping, so the gratification isn't too much delayed, and I don't have to think too far ahead on foods.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Even if the store had the quality reputation of Whole Foods, I don't want someone else selecting products for me. Besides, sometimes there may be an item, that up close and personal, inspires a meal on the spot. The item may not be something the store normally carries, like tri-tip! Smellavision doesn't exist yet.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Smellavision doesn't exist yet.
It does, but it didn't catch on.

I keep hoping for a comeback, so we can go to a film of that classic mystery, "Murder In the Monkey House."

I think it was just a bad name, SMELL-O-Vision. Should have been Odorama.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

That sort of service isn't offered around here. I wouldn't use it anyway. I enjoy wandering through food markets, and grocery stores. It's a big part of my weekly entertainment. I look forward to my food shopping trips. Sad, eh?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
That sort of service isn't offered around here. I wouldn't use it anyway. I enjoy wandering through food markets, and grocery stores. It's a big part of my weekly entertainment. I look forward to my food shopping trips. Sad, eh?
Nah, normal for a foodie.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
It's a big part of my weekly entertainment. I look forward to my food shopping trips. Sad, eh?
Me too!!!

.......and if someone is keeping score....I never have & I never will!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Weekly grocery shopping is done at the market/store. I like being able to handle and pick out the cuts of meat I want and the produce I want. I don't want someone else picking either of those things out for me. Plus, I also think the delivery charge from the grocery stores is a bit much.
2 things I do order online are dried heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo in California and ground dried red chile from Chimayo, New Mexico.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of my nearby stores, Rouses, has that service. Since it's difficult for me to get there, I may just try it. They have excellent meats and often have good sale prices. I'm going to try it the next time they have a good sale on things I like. I'm also hoping they might have items I haven't been able to find in my regular stores like Gravy Master.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food