"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm even picky about packaged stuff. I read labels. I want to know when that Gouda that we have been buying for years (at Costco) suddenly starts having natamycin in the skin or that now the Breyer's ice cream is no longer "all natural" and has all manner of weird chemicals added, as well as guar gum.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I wouldn't use an on-line shopping service even if it was offered here. When I was a kid, Friday night was grocery shopping night because my mom didn't drive at that time. It was always so much fun to walk through the store and see what was there. I was too young to even think about saving money so I didn't pay attention to that. Today I still don't think too much about saving money because I don't have to and I still love to go to the grocery store, walk down most every aisle and pick out what I want to buy. If I happen to be having a bad day, I always feel better when I walk out of the store with my groceries. Oh well.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #33
Executive Chef

All of the major S/Markets offer free online shopping when you spend a min amount. With petrol costing around $8 a gallon over here online shopping is becoming more relevant.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
All of the major S/Markets offer free online shopping when you spend a min amount. With petrol costing around $8 a gallon over here online shopping is becoming more relevant.
The gap is narrowing. $8/Imperial gallon is about $1.76/litre. I pay about $1.40/litre.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
Head Chef

Both. I do the "bulk" of my food shopping online from a huge local chain. The delivery charge can vary from $13 or less (depending on if you choose an off time or larger time window for delivery). It's a great help to me not having to make many trips from the car to the house, gas (which is up again), going out in 100-degree heat or pouring rain, and have food delivered the next day (in my robe). The market has more of a selection (bakery, deli section & salad bar). Online shopping is also great for paper & cleaning products, staples, canned goods, heavy bottles (detergent, soda, etc.), & dry or fresh pasta.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The gap is narrowing. $8/Imperial gallon is about $1.76/litre. I pay about $1.40/litre.
Tax I think my maths were out, we are paying 1.37 a litre or $3.24 a litre so whats that a US gallon?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Tax I think my maths were out, we are paying 1.37 a litre or $3.24 a litre so whats that a US gallon?
According to Google:
1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres

and

1 US gallon = 0.83267384 Imperial gallons
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #38
Head Chef

Gas, here, is around $4.39. Also, online shopping is a Godsend for me right now. I'm having a long recovery period from surgery, and difficulty with mobility. Grateful the service is available.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #39
Wine Guy

Quote:
At the current exchange rate, you are paying about $8.21 per gallon (US dollars, US gallons). Makes sense. I was last in the UK in August 2011. At that time, it was a little more than $7 per US gallon.

By contrast, I filled up my tank this morning for $3.64 per gallon, or $0.96 (61 p) per liter.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Both. I do the "bulk" of my food shopping online from a huge local chain. The delivery charge can vary from $13 or less (depending on if you choose an off time or larger time window for delivery). It's a great help to me not having to make many trips from the car to the house, gas (which is up again), going out in 100-degree heat or pouring rain, and have food delivered the next day (in my robe). The market has more of a selection (bakery, deli section & salad bar). Online shopping is also great for paper & cleaning products, staples, canned goods, heavy bottles (detergent, soda, etc.), & dry or fresh pasta.

sounds like my von's market. same description. i love it and shop for a month. this keep the cost down and no impulse buying. they bring it in the house and even separate the perishables from pantry. i love it, have done for about five years now. a real help for a great-granny.

Tags
food