"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 04-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
i have shopped on line for all groceries for six years. my local market that does it is vons. i generally shop once a month. i buy everything there, paper goods cat food etc. everything!.the delivery is just shy of ten dollars. i generally spend $300, once the price goes above $150 the delivery drops to $6.95. they deliver to my house and bring into the house for me. they separate the frozen and fridge.. items and place on my island. the rest goes on the dining table. that way if i am in a hurry, the perishables get put away and i can do the rest later. once in awhile i will order a small bit . usually only at the holidays, stuff for guests, etc. you can pick the time for the delivery. can do within an hour, but that is more expensive. so two hour or four hour window for me.

the specials balance out that i can't use coupons. buy one, get one free, etc. and in store specials and some promos. vons site is very user friendly, you can shop, and not get back to it for several days. it is saved. you can add and take away from your cart anytime, you like even after you have sent the order. because it is listed in aisles just like the store, i can compare prices (more easily actually) and get the best buy.

it would cost me ten dollars to take a cab to store and back. then would have to tip driver to carry them in for me. the young men from the store are not allowed to take tips.

frankly i don't know how i did without it for so long., good luck. anymore questions you can pm me if you like.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I had a friend who lived in San Francisco and didn't have a car. When she needed groceries she would take a bus to the Safeway, buy her groceries, then take a cab home. It worked fine for her for years.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote