"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Online schooling?

Hi there,

I am interested in becoming more capable in the kitchen. In school I never took a cooking class, and now I regret it. I love cooking but lack true skill. I am interested in finding out if there is a supplementary online schooling. (There is nothing in the small town here in the schools here) I'm interested in knowing foods and how to cook them properly. Typically when I follow a recipe I somehow screw it up and I'm tired of that. Any websites or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

saykotaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Master Chef
to DC!!
You can learn a lot here, just ask. There a lot of very knowledgable cooks here, personal and professional.
But, I'm sure someone here will know where you can find what your looking for.

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:44 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Welcome! YOu'll get a lot of answers to questions here, but nothing is as good as 'hands on' -

Why don't you see if there are any cooking classes offered in your town? Check kitchenware stores, community college/adult education classes, etc.

Also, publications like 'Fine Cooking' and 'Cook's Illustrated' are great 'how to' books. Use your public library; borrowing books is so much cheaper than buying them, and you can have a look-see and decide which ones are the best for you. And don't forget Santa is coming soon - books make great Christmas presents!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer
Marmlady gave you some great advice about looking for local cooking classes. I have taken some through local community colleges and they have been great.

This website can be a huge benefit for you as well. Post a recipe that you want to try to make and ask for advice on how to make it. Try your hand at it and if it does not turn out right then post what happened and we can help troubleshoot it for you.

Welcome to the site
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Thank you all for your comments. I will try all of you suggestions. I've already book marked this forum so I'll be back. Thanks again!

Deborah King
saykotaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
hmm foodnetwork.com has a lot of vids i learn from those
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Master Chef
Public Television (PBS) cooking shows are a wealth of information. They provide both recipes and demonstrations on cooking techniques. Those of us who grew up watching and learning from Julia Child did so watching her on Saturday on a PBS station (more likely than not). If you have FoodTV on cable or satellite - similar situation. But, I still prefer the PBS programs.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote