"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is going to be a bake sale this weekend on the condo property to raise money for the One Fund for those individuals injured by Boston Marathon bombing.

SO and I decided to contribute some baked goods for the sale. We had some old and tired bananas so she decided to make banana bread for her contribution. Typically she pre-measures the dry ingredients the day before then mixes and bakes early the next morning before I get up and before she goes to work.

This morning when I got up, I smelled something not typical of her banana bread. She met me at the bottom of the stairs to tell me there would be no banana bread for the bake sale.

I suspect she goofed in measuring the baking soda. Oh well, I've done worse. The oven needed cleaning anyways.

Yikes!!

Old 05-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #32
Sous Chef

If it was the baking soda I'm glad it manifested before people got to it. I posted here once about a cake that I made. I cut the recipe in half and forgot to cut the baking soda in half. DH and I each had a substantial piece which was followed by a substantial stomach ache. We noticed the flavor was a little off, but it was a new recipe and had a very strong flavored frosting. It may not have been enough to do it in hers, but it would have been terrible if all of the well-meaning individuals who bought her banana bread ended up with tummy aches!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I was putting the ingredients for a cake together. Wet in one bowl, dry in another. The kids kept interrupting me. After the unp[teenth time, I looked. Half of the dry ingredients had not been mixed in yet. I thought it was a rather runny batter, but put it in the oven anyway. I noticed the rest of the dry ingredients too late. I was tempted to make the kids eat it anyway. They were looking forward to the cake. Lesson learned. Leave mom alone when she is baking.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
If there is only one thing I learned and remember to do is look inside the oven first Before turning it on to warm up. Corollary-- take cat inventory before turning on the dryer.
Guess you had to rename your cat "Fluffy"?
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
...Perhaps these pics will make your SO feel better.
24 Bakers Who Totally Nailed It
Seriously, baking cookies on a plastic cutting board???
I've had "lava" flows in my oven: apple pie, lasagna. I have to admit my best oven purchase to date is a silicone sheet for the bottom. You can cut it to fit (my oven has a solid floor with vented "hills" down each side to allow the heat to come up from the element below) and take it out of the oven to wipe clean after an "oops". Andy, I found mine at Christmas Tree Shop for about $4-5. Just sayin'
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Guess you had to rename your cat "Fluffy"?
Maybe he renamed it "Bounce"...
Old 05-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Maybe he renamed it "Bounce"...

I seem to know a bunch of nuts! Poor kitty.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #38
Head Chef

A couple months ago I tried this new recipe and I was glad I put them on a baking sheet before I put them in the oven - as I had your same results. bubbled over.
I have since made several times and used less batter in each pan with no problems. I'm glad my instincts works and I did that as I was making mini loaves and there would of been a whole lot of mess to clean up.
By the way the trial recipe was Amish Cinnamon Bread which is delicious, it's like a coffee cake. I have made it a lot now and freezes great. Here's is the recipe
AMISH CINNAMON BREAD

(makes 2 loaves)

Batter:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Cinnamon/sugar mixture:
2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs. Add milk, flour, and baking soda. Put 1/2 of batter (or a little less) into greased loaf pans (1/4 in each pan). Mix in separate bowl the 2/3 c sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle 3/4 of cinnamon mixture on top of the 1/2 batter in each pan. Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle with last of cinnamon topping. Swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 min. or until toothpick tester come clean.

Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing from pan.

I have also made this bread in muffin tins- great for bake sales - just don't fill to full
Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
...Perhaps these pics will make your SO feel better.
24 Bakers Who Totally Nailed It

Thanks for posting the link. SO got a kick out of it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I was making baked potatoes that were soaked in a salty brine first. The recipe clearly stated NOT to poke holes in them, so against my better judgement, I didn't. I hear a loud BANG, and you guessed it, exploded potato. My oven looked like it had snowed in there. I just turned it off and let it be, the potato snow dried out and I vacuumed out the oven.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote