Ooops!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Bread making day today. Made dough based on 2lbs of flour (mixture of white bread flour and the remains Wholemeal bread flour so quite a lot). let it do the first rise while I got my lunch ready and ate it. Let it rise for a couple of hours - it was fairly lively but so far so good.

It rose rather spectacularly and when it looked OK I knocked it back and kneaded it a bit more and put it for a second rise which I usually do (I'm funny that way).

I then went off to do something else and forgot about the bread dough. Went back into the kitchen at midnight to get a drink prior to going to bed and there it was -The Thing From 20,000 Fathoms. The dough had risen over the lip of the bowl and down the sides and was creeping across the work surface. Fortunately, I'd cleaned the surface thoroughly before I started the bread so I could gather it all up. Gave it a good kneading, covered the bowl with cling film and put it in the 'fridge. We'll have to see what it's like tomorrow as I'm off to bed now.

Night, Night, everyone.

Ah, you had a "senior moment."

It could have been worse. You could have left a big, whole, prime beef tenderloin out to thaw... and found it the next morning. :ohmy:

I haven't actually done that... yet.

Good luck with your bread!

CD

Ah, you had a "senior moment."

It could have been worse. You could have left a big, whole, prime beef tenderloin out to thaw... and found it the next morning. :ohmy:

I haven't actually done that... yet.

Good luck with your bread!

CD

When were kids, my mother would buy stuff for dinner, but we would always eat it prior to the day she wanted to prepare it. So, her defense against this was to hide things so we wouldn't find them. One day, she bought a whole bunch of roast beef ( I dont eat it, but everyone else does). She hid it in some remote place in the house. My brother found it, thought it was something she stashed a long time ago and forgot about, so he through it out cause he thought it was spoiled. To her surprise, she learns about this as she was about to prepare dinner. She was very upset :LOL:

I usually take a smoothie with me to work, in a thermal bottle that keeps it cold. One night, I was just too tired to clean the bottle out and I just stuck it on the counter. I forgot about it for three days, and on the fourth day, when I tried to open it, the danged thing EXPLODED! All over the kitchen! And all over me!

I usually take a smoothie with me to work, in a thermal bottle that keeps it cold. One night, I was just too tired to clean the bottle out and I just stuck it on the counter. I forgot about it for three days, and on the fourth day, when I tried to open it, the danged thing EXPLODED! All over the kitchen! And all over me!

My kitchen has hosted a whole lot of "science projects" over the years, but I don't recall having anything explode... yet.

I do remember my parent's fist experience with a pressure cooker. My dad took the weighted thingy off of the lid, and painted the kitchen ceiling with soup. :ohmy::LOL:

CD

I want to hear how this turns out. I hope it hasn't taken over your fridge.
No it hadn't. It had risen a bit so I took it out of the 'fridge to come up to room temp and rise a bit more. Looks fine and I'll be going to shape it and bake it shortly.

I've heard of people putting bread dough in the 'fridge to prove but I was always a bit sceptical. I'll bear it in mind in future. Useful for fresh rolls for breakfast when I have visitors.

I had made a dough, enough for three loaves. I gave it its' first kneading. Started to feel sick. Put the dough in the fridge.

Still sick with a really bad cold the next day. Looked in the fridge for something go eat or drink. The dough was on the second shelf, bottom shelf, and on the racks on the door. I thought I had the Monster from the Lagoon in there. Closed the fridge, and went back to bed. Felt better later and got up to clean up the dough mess. I split and shaped it into three loaves, put them in the freezer. About a week later I took one out and put it in the oven. I felt there was no need for anymore risings. It had more than exceeded itself.

The result. Best loaf of bread I ever made.

I had made a dough, enough for three loaves. I gave it its' first kneading. Started to feel sick. Put the dough in the fridge.

Still sick with a really bad cold the next day. Looked in the fridge for something go eat or drink. The dough was on the second shelf, bottom shelf, and on the racks on the door. I thought I had the Monster from the Lagoon in there. Closed the fridge, and went back to bed. Felt better later and got up to clean up the dough mess. I split and shaped it into three loaves, put them in the freezer. About a week later I took one out and put it in the oven. I felt there was no need for anymore risings. It had more than exceeded itself.

The result. Best loaf of bread I ever made.
I always feel sorry for beginners who follow recipes for homemade bread in magazines or on TV. One hour's rising time may make a reasonably looking and useful loaf but it won't have the flavour and texture of bread that is allowed to rise at a lower temp and for longer.

My grannie always said that bread needs a little warmth and a lot of time (but not the cook's time). I think the time for last night's effort might have been a tad over the top though. Mind you, it shows how forgiving yeast cookery can be.

It's about to go into the oven - 16 small baps/buns/cobs (whatever you call them where you live) and two 2lb tin loaves. It'll keep me going for a couple of weeks

MC I felt that as much as that dough rose all over the fridge, it was equal to more than one rising.

I did the bread dough thing when I was pregnant and close to delivering. My companion said let's go get some lunch and shop for a bit. Okay, off we went and I forgot about the bread dough. It was all over the place like MC's. It was fine, though tasted a little yeasty.

I did the bread dough thing when I was pregnant and close to delivering. My companion said let's go get some lunch and shop for a bit. Okay, off we went and I forgot about the bread dough. It was all over the place like MC's. It was fine, though tasted a little yeasty.

Yeast has a mind and life of its own. I have the feeling it doesn't like to be forgotten. "I'll show her!" I am sure if it could talk, that is what it would say.

When I make Dutch oven bread, I put it in the fridge after the overnight rise for at least a few days to develop flavor. Not only does it not rise in the fridge, it collapses a bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom