"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
We do potlucks for our rehab department about once every two months. On the plus side since I am in a rehab setting we have a stove, oven, refrig/ freezer and microwave. There are 13 of us and easy to coordinate.
We haul food in all the time and have Unit Potlucks. As long as we invite the therapists, we can use their kitchen

Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We haul food in all the time and have Unit Potlucks. As long as we invite the therapists, we can use their kitchen
hehe thats a thought, invite the unit, more food I happen to love the nurses in the whole building, I practically grew up there. When I had been away for a few years and came back, they said "hey! theres our kid!" I'm not a kid anymore, will be turning 40 in October but started there as a rehab tech,around 17 or so, just right from high school before therapy school !

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
hehe thats a thought, invite the unit, more food I happen to love the nurses in the whole building, I practically grew up there. When I had been away for a few years and came back, they said "hey! theres our kid!" I'm not a kid anymore, will be turning 40 in October but started there as a rehab tech,around 17 or so, just right from high school before therapy school !
I found out that anything Chocolate attracts therapists...
Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I found out that anything Chocolate attracts therapists...
How true, it's like a moth to a flame when someone brings in dessert, diets are blown, portion control goes out the window!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Potlucks are awesome. I rarely "showcase" anymore when the hubs and I entertain. It's too stressful and I don't get to enjoy my guests. It is way more laid back and fun if everyone pitches in. My friends all get involved meal planning over the phone, then everyone either brings their contribution ready to serve or we cook together as a group. I think potlucks are misunderstood as lowbrow or a way to save money and still entertain. That is silly. Food shouldn't have to be so serious.

I actually did a thanksgiving potluck for 50 once and I told everyone what I wanted them to bring and how much they needed to make. Kinda bossy I guess, but everyone came, everyone ate, and everyone had a great time.....as far as I know ;)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
How true, it's like a moth to a flame when someone brings in dessert, diets are blown, portion control goes out the window!
We do have some fun salad bars when the therapists are invited. There's things you would never even imagine...
Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #47
Senior Cook

First, I disagree with the definition of "Potluck." As I understand it, potluck means if you show up for dinner, you'll get whatever I have and can rustle up for dinner. E.g. the luck of what's in the pot.

However, Dish to Pass means that everyone brings something to share. I believe that this was labeled "tacky" is because it is perhaps not the best manners to ask your guests to provide for your event. The person inviting is NOT the host, he/she is, rather, the organizer. A host provides everything for entertaining.

I realize that this has become the norm, but that does not make it right. If I invite people for dinner, I provide everything. I always thought doing this kind of thing at work or church was Ok.

On another note, years ago, after a "Dish to Pass" at work, one of our employees revealed that he had hepatitis. Everyone - 800 people - was offered gamma globulin injections, and our insurer said "no more." I don't like eating food when I don't know the health/safety habits of the cook.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore
First, I disagree with the definition of "Potluck." As I understand it, potluck means if you show up for dinner, you'll get whatever I have and can rustle up for dinner. E.g. the luck of what's in the pot.

However, Dish to Pass means that everyone brings something to share. I believe that this was labeled "tacky" is because it is perhaps not the best manners to ask your guests to provide for your event. The person inviting is NOT the host, he/she is, rather, the organizer. A host provides everything for entertaining.

I realize that this has become the norm, but that does not make it right. If I invite people for dinner, I provide everything. I always thought doing this kind of thing at work or church was Ok.

On another note, years ago, after a "Dish to Pass" at work, one of our employees revealed that he had hepatitis. Everyone - 800 people - was offered gamma globulin injections, and our insurer said "no more." I don't like eating food when I don't know the health/safety habits of the cook.
If I throw a dinner party, I provide everything. This means that I have personally invited people for a meal that I am going to prepare.

If our friends are coming over for a casual pot luck, then we all contribute. This can be a barbeque or maybe a movie night. These types of gatherings are usually planned as a group effort.

There are times for both, neither one, is right or wrong.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #49
Senior Cook

I consider Miss Manners the final authority

When potluck is OK - Miss Manners - The Buffalo News
Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't think anyone is forced to attend a potluck if they are offended by bringing a dish.

If someone is having a pot luck dinner, they need to say so from the beginning. If someone invites people to dinner and then asks them to bring something after the invitation is accepted, then that seems a bit tacky. But just hosting a pot luck seems perfectly acceptable to me.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote