Opinions on Potluck Parties.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I don't know how to do this anymore.

I'm sure I've asked before, but I am curious.

How many people are actually offended by getting a "potluck" invitation.

My friends love to cook, but actually love to come to my house for some reason. So I scrub up and host, make the main dish, put out requests, and they do the rest.

One friend actually thought it was tacky for me to ask people to bring things to a party (she didn't think it was too tacky, she always brings food).

Is anyone out there actually offended by an invitation that says "bring something .... " I often do theme dinners... as in, I'm making halupke, bring something eastern European.

I'm just curious as to how many people entertain this way.

Love potluck...when I was a kid, my parents, or sometimes a neighbor, used to have rent parties. People would bring food and drink, roll up the rugs and break out the accordion. Nowadays, I live alone, so it's nice to get to cook for friends and sample some of their kitchen magic.

Heavens, no, I'm not offended. Most of my friends do potlucks.

I am offended when someone insists on bringing food when it isn't potluck. I was having an elegant Solstice supper. A friend asked if she could bring a friend of hers who was visiting from farm country in Manitoba. She wanted to bring cabbage rolls. I said, "Thank you very much, but please don't." Well, this got into a big kerfuffle with hurt feelings. Apparently it's traditional for her friend to bring food for Xmas celebrations. I put my foot down and explained that this wasn't a Xmas celebration, that I detest the smell of cabbage rolls, and no she couldn't bring them. I had already promised I wouldn't scare the poor little Christian farm girl with any scary pagan stuff.

I do have to laugh at this one. Once upon a time, many years ago, I did TWO parties a year. One, in the summer, was potluck, the other, in early december, was just me. Well, when I moved here, all my friends were bringing food. So I took to making huge batches of chili -- Cincinnati for the holidays, green New Mexico for summer. Then I just asked people to join in. It's worked well, but one friend thinks it is tacky. So I just was curious. Believe me, no one has turned down an invitation, and they all love the opportunity to try out a new recipe. I was just curious as to what you all thought about it.

Two places where I formerly worked used to have pot lucks every once in a while. Whomever organized it would ask each person what they would like to bring so that we didn't get too many main courses or desserts and not enough sides. I've done pasta carbonara, Israeli couscous, jambalaya stuffed bell peppers, and my world famous spaghetti and meatball cake, among other things.

Last edited:
When I get invited to a dinner party the first thing I ask is what I can bring. Seems reasonable to me.

I have hosted gatherings and told people to bring nothing, I have hosted and told them what they need to bring, or at least the category to bring.

Offended? Bah... You invite me into your home, do all the cleaning and provide me food, the least I can do is offer to help some how. Even if you don't want any.

A friend of mine several years ago wanted to do a nice party for her new husband for his birthday. She decided steak was a great way to celebrate (and I can't argue that). There was 30 people there and I cooked the steaks and a couple sides since she asked if I would do it. In the end she realized feeding steak to 30 people would not be cheap so it was a bring yer steak, we have everything else. Big hit, everyone got the cut they wanted, and I took extra care to be sure they were grilled appropriately.

Offended? Bah.
:)

i'm not offended at all. in fact, i relish being able to bring a dish to a party. it both pleases me to be have a part in the dinner, and it challenges me to make something the best i can to please my friends and those who i may befriend.

I am not offended at all but, I don't enjoy eating at Potluck parties.

I do like to have some direction in what to bring. If your name ends in A-D bring a salad type of thing or think Irish food etc.......

If you do not like the group landing in your home look for a new gathering spot. We used to congregate at our local saloon. Everyone had a good time and the bar had an extra good day, cha-ching! We celebrated many minor holidays, sporting events, blizzard parties, etc...

Yes, we do provide guidance. For example, Sunday is brunch at a friend's house and I'm in charge of garlic bread. For my husband's 65th birthday a couple of days ago I requested finger food with a fifties/sixties theme if possible. When we get together, whoever is hosting tells the call-backs, I'm making (whatever) and need and appetizer, a salad, a side, and a desert to go with it. By the way, the friend who says it's not right, always brings great food and doesn't seem to mind it. Go figure. She just thinks it is one of those confusing things Americans do!

I have to say, I really, really really miss the parties we had in Hawaii. The scope of Asian cuisines that would show up were just amazing. Most of the Asian women I knew didn't drink, and my Guamanian friend (when it was his house) would sneak me a cocktail. I didn't then know that many Asian women can't drink ... not a cultural thing, a physical one. They get sick and very, very quickly. But I loved those dinners and when I think of things I miss from when we lived in Hawaii, that's near the top of my list (OK, the weather has to be top, then the ocean). We had friends from every Asian country you could name, and potlucks were spectacular.

I am not offended at all but, I don't enjoy eating at Potluck parties.

I do like to have some direction in what to bring. If your name ends in A-D bring a salad type of thing or think Irish food etc.......

If you do not like the group landing in your home look for a new gathering spot. We used to congregate at our local saloon. Everyone had a good time and the bar had an extra good day, cha-ching! We celebrated many minor holidays, sporting events, blizzard parties, etc...

For awhile I realized I was hosting more often that most and it bothered me a bit. Then I thought, well, I like it, really. Several of our friends are single women (divorce, widows, or just plain single) for whom entertaining is a real chore. My husband is still able to assist me if it's inside.

We do have a "third place" where we all meet on Fridays. And yes, the restaurant owners appreciate the $$ that is brought in, and even on occasion sponsor a dinner for us, give us a table at a local concert, etc.

The problem with having parties at restaurants is that it can be a budget breaker for some of our friends. I have an older friend on a fixed income. I have a few friends on fixed income for disabilities. The economy has sucked for a while, friends are sometimes out of work. So, when we do restaurant get togethers we usually limit it to cheaper restaurants. At least we know a few good, non-chain less expensive restaurants.

One of my pet peeves is someone having a party and showing off by choosing an expensive, but crappy restaurant and I have to pay "that much for crappy food!"

A pot luck is a great way to include folks with tighter budgets.

A group of us used to do potlucks every 2-3 months. They were great. We'd pick a theme and then go from there. We'd list the types of foods (salad, main dish, dessert, other sides) and people would "sign up" for what they'd like to bring. We did Chinese fondue, Italian, Mexican, comfort food, etc., themes.

No offense.

My SIL (who doesn't cook) tells SO what to bring (usually a dessert), I usually make an appy or side. She counts on it as a part of the meal when she doesn't order take out.

My sister really doesn't want people to bring anything because she wants all the dishes to be hers. When we offer, she just says to bring a dessert and we end up with a dozen or so desserts. She then gets to complain about, 'what is she going to do with all these desserts as she can't eat them'.

When we have a small dinner party, we tell guests thanks but we already have the menu set. I let my sister bring something to avoid an argument and hurt feelings.

When we have an open house, people bring stuff and we make stuff.

As a side note, we used to host an annual open house with our neighbors in December. One year two other couples offered to host next year. When the time came, both couples backed out. We don't have open houses anymore.

As a side note, we used to host an annual open house with our neighbors in December. One year two other couples offered to host next year. When the time came, both couples backed out. We don't have open houses anymore.

It's a shame when that sort of thing happens. When people do that, it takes the shine off and I understand not feeling like doing it any more.

How do I feel about potluck parties?

It depends on who the guests/participants are.

If I know the guests well I enjoy them very much.

If I don't know all the guests, I'd just as soon pass. Frankly, the thought of eating food from questionable kitchens and cooks turns my stomach.

We are expected to participate in several potlucks a year, sponsored by our retirement community of 120 homes, and I just won't go.:sick:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom