Opinions on recipe - pineapple enchilada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been on a pineapple kick lately and ran across this recipe. I wondered if anyone has tried anything like it, or has an opinion before I try it. I thought maybe adding a thin slice of ham, it might be reminiscent of Hawaiian Pizza with ham and pineapple.

Pineapple Enchiladas

1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
• 1/4 cup sour cream
• 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
• 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce, divided
• 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl combine pineapple, sour cream and 1 cup cheese.
3. Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
4. Fill tortillas with pineapple mixture, roll and place in baking dish. Pour on remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

I agree about the ham. I'm having a difficult time imagining this flavor profile. It's primarily the enchilad sauce that's throwing me. I'd try it though. It might be really good.

It might be made to work somewhat, if the red enchilada sauce was replaced by a green sauce, perhaps a tomatillo salsa. And I would consider using white queso fresca instead of cheddar. If a meat is desired, use chicken, and keep it a fundamentally a white dish. I think you have to let the pineapple dominate, and it can't compete with red sauce.

I know that there are pineapple enchilada recipes with red sauce floating around the Internet, but they don't appeal.

Pineapple is both tart and sweet and goes well with savory dishes.
It's hot. Aa a light main dish with a salad and some guac, it is a perfect summer dish. I could visualize enjoying this for dinner at your house. Hint hint :LOL:

I think:
1) it definitely needs some sweated or lightly sauteed onions
2) some cooked chicken strips or shrimp might go nice tucked inside
3) jalapeno, de-seed it all you want
4) I;m undecided if cilantro would enhance or detract with the pineapple flavor
4) garnish the top with some snipped green onion and some diced seeded tomato just before serving.

There. I've probably either wrecked it beyond its simple flavors. Or else it's smashing.

I think it would be a great dish to tote to a picnic or a potluck, not as a main attraction at a small gathering.

I think adding a little heat to the sweet is a great idea! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks for the brainstorming on this.

I agree, there's just something not right with red enchilada sauce, I'm thinking a white cheese sauce with maybe some green enchilada sauce added to it. For the flour tortilla filling maybe a thin slice of ham, a stick of white cheese, a spoon of crushed pineapple, and a sliver of green chili?

I agree I cannot fathom the red enchilada sauce with the pineapple, although red sauce works on pizza, but I would say that, this is because pizza sauce is slightly sweet, where enchilada sauce is somewhat pungent? I like Whiskadoodle's ideas too! I bet ham with a green sauce would also be good.

I've been on a pineapple kick lately and ran across this recipe. I wondered if anyone has tried anything like it, or has an opinion before I try it. I thought maybe adding a thin slice of ham, it might be reminiscent of Hawaiian Pizza with ham and pineapple.

Perhaps some good home made pico de gallo might work better instead of jarred enchilada sauce. JMHO.

Some heat yes but the for the sauce I'd not use a red one but a green tomatilio sauce it's yummy and would fit with the pineapple and ham.
kades

If you ask me, and you obviously did, it sounds disgusting, like putting pineapple on a pizza.

Put ground beef, pork or turkey in your enchiladas and use the pineapple to make a piña colada to wash them down

OH, and BTW, enchiladas are customarily made with corn tortillas, not flour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom