Orange Dream Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miranda Beel

Assistant Cook
To start, pour three ounces of whole coffee beans into the grinder and set aside. You don’t need to be exact but a small measuring cup is helpful.

Next, grab a fresh orange and a grater. Using the teeth that yield the largest shavings, grate a tablespoon of orange peel and drop it in the grinder with the beans.

Start the grinder and as the coffee is crushed the sound will go from a clatter to a sandy hum. This usually takes about 15 seconds.

Add the ground beans to your coffee maker along with 4 ½ cups of water. For best results, use filtered tap water.

Begin brewing and in 5-10 minutes you will have a hot pot of orange-infused black coffee. To finish, drop in a large dollop of vanilla ice cream and stir. Both the orange and coffee are acidic but the vanilla and milk in the ice cream will reduce the acids for a smoother finish.

I learned this recipe from Greg Orman, a centrist who ran for Senate in Kansas in 2014. He lost, but I still learned a great recipe!

Greg Orman, wife Sybil sit down with Eyewitness News | Local News - Home

@gregorman

...Next, grab a fresh orange and a grater. Using the teeth that yield the largest shavings, grate a tablespoon of orange peel and drop it in the grinder with the beans...
Although I'm sure the orange coffee would be delightful as a change of pace, I'd be afraid my next five or so grinds of coffee with end up with a faint orange flavor. Tossing the peel into a blade grinder might be fine since it's easy enough to clean, but I wouldn't attempt this with my burr grinder. Rather, just tossing the grated peel on top of the coffee in the grounds basket would probably work. And the added ice cream? Sounds great!

I was thinking the same thing, CG. In the winter, I sometimes put ground cinnamon on the coffee grounds for a wonderful cinnamon coffee. Using finely grated orange zest should work as well.

Although I'm sure the orange coffee would be delightful as a change of pace, I'd be afraid my next five or so grinds of coffee with end up with a faint orange flavor. Tossing the peel into a blade grinder might be fine since it's easy enough to clean, but I wouldn't attempt this with my burr grinder. Rather, just tossing the grated peel on top of the coffee in the grounds basket would probably work. And the added ice cream? Sounds great!
I'm pretty sure the OP meant a whirly blade grinder because, "Start the grinder and as the coffee is crushed the sound will go from a clatter to a sandy hum. This usually takes about 15 seconds"
doesn't really apply to burr grinders.

GG, I also like a shake or two of nutmeg. And what is really good is a rounded teaspoon of baking cocoa! :yum: It doesn't give the cup of coffee a chocolate flavor; rather, it imparts a nice Moka Sumatra flavor to a non-Moka bean. BTW, that "1 tsp" is for a 7- or 8-cup pot.

I figured she was using a blade grinder, taxy. I just wanted to point that out in case someone was having a brain burp and tried it with a burr grinder. ;)

We grind our beans as well. I pour about half cup of coffee, add one tablespoon baking cocoa, one teaspoon organic sugar and stir until they have dissolved. Then a bit more coffee and half a cup of milk. Sometimes I need to heat it after adding the milk on high, one minute in the microwave. Sprinkle with pumpkin spice...delicious!

FF, it sounds more like you're making a mocha drink with the sugar and milk. I drink my coffee black and plain, so I'm adding the one tsp. of baking cocoa directly to the grounds in the basket.

On the other hand, when the weather is warm I almost always brew more hot coffee than we'll drink that morning. The leftover gets some Hershey syrup added to the carafe, swirled around until the chocolate blends with the coffee, then put it all into an old pint-size glass milk bottle. When I want iced mocha coffee I put crushed ice into a mug, pour the cold coffee in, then add a bit of coffee cream. Better than $tarbuck$.

Yes, it is more of a mocha. I also make the ice coffee in the afternoon. Sure beats spending $5.00 at the coffee places and I make it how I enjoy it. They tend to put too much chocolate in it for my taste, even if I have them use half the amount.

Wonder what they will say at startbucks if i tell them i want a coffee made like this :)

Back
Top Bottom