"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post

Thanks to Merstar and this link, I must ordered some dry Italian porcini.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They're excellent quality with nice size pieces and no grit. Enjoy!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's pretty cool, Kay. Thanks.
uhh, question though... do you actually eat the corn husk they are wrapped in? I am clueless.
I recall DH hacking through the husks and trying to choke them down the first time we attempted eating tamales many years ago. They really should come with instructions, as I've seen other folks ask the same question when we've been in Mexican restaurants.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I love Wicked Whoopies! I eat them every time we go to Maine. Went to their store in Freeport and got to try a bunch if flavors. The original is still my favorite!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I recall DH hacking through the husks and trying to choke them down the first time we attempted eating tamales many years ago. They really should come with instructions, as I've seen other folks ask the same question when we've been in Mexican restaurants.
Thanks for the reminder Dawg, that we all come from different food cultures. I grew up with tamales and how to eat them. Easy for me.
IMO, a Mexican tamale must be made in the dried corn husk, and steamed within the husk for the proper flavor without exception. A steamed and properly made Mexican tamale is easy to flip from the corn husk, and the husk easily set aside. Thanks for the reminder that not everyone knows that!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Check your old credit card bills and look for the name of the company.
Thats a great Idea, but the problem is, it must have been 10 years ago, and they never charged me

I actually felt terrible about it. I dont like taking advantage of anyone, but we got it, ate it, and didnt realize we were never charged til it was too late and had no evidence of where we got it

Back then I didnt check my credit card receipts as I do today.

Now Im a bit older and wiser ( I hope)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I love Wicked Whoopies! I eat them every time we go to Maine. Went to their store in Freeport and got to try a bunch if flavors. The original is still my favorite!
You and me Both , Brother..

We saw a thing on the food network, how there was / is some kinda debate over who makes the best whoopies ( pies that is) and where they originated from, and who is better known for them ( Pennsylvania or Maine).

This was the perfect excuse I used to go do a whoopie pie taste test.

Got a bunch from Flying Monkey Bakery, In Philly's Reading Terminal market , who are also well known for their ' Pummple Cake' ( which is a apple pie baked within a vanilla cake, layered on top of a pumpkin pie baked within a chocolate cake, the whole thing frosted over. (kinda like the turducken of cakes))

Also got some from a few Amish Markets outside of Philly.

Then off to Maine. First stop, Portland's Cranberry Island KItchen, Featured on a Bobby Flay throw down episode, Two Fat Cats, on the other side of town, and Finally, our last stop was Freeport Maine, to Wicked Whoopies , where we visit annually on our Maine Summer vaction.

So, our personal results were that although the Whoopie Pies on Pennsylvania were better ( sorry Maine, we still love you and your whoopies), Wicked Whoopies took the cake ( so to speak) in Maine. Only ordered online from them once ( this past week), but were very reliable, and everyone loved them, would definitely order again from the site and will obviously still make our annual pilgrimage to Freeport for some Wicked Whoopies...

As an added note, Loved the When Pigs Fly bread bakery in Freeport too. Was going to order from there for the holidays, but it was too late, and couldnt guarantee Id get them in time for the holiday. You snooze, you loose, as the saying goes.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Kalustyan's is a bit pricey but has a nice variety of spices, herbs, dried fuits, and more.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
A childhood favorite.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Here is a link that we have purchased from on numerous occasions. Just have to be aware of when the fresh product is in season.

http://www.oregonmushrooms.com/

Tags
food